Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Actor Will Forte says completed "Coyote vs. Acme" film is likely never coming out -FutureFinance
NovaQuant-Actor Will Forte says completed "Coyote vs. Acme" film is likely never coming out
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:30:42
A verdict seems to have NovaQuantbeen reached in the case of "Coyote vs. Acme," the Warner Bros. Discovery courtroom comedy based on the popular Looney Tunes character.
The movie will likely never come out, lead actor Will Forte said in a statement on social media Thursday.
Originally slated for a theatrical release last July, the film was reportedly shelved in November last year, according to Deadline.
Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro of Texas alleged last year that the hiatus was part of a wider pattern of shelving films for tax breaks.
"The [Warner Bros. Discovery] tactic of scrapping fully made films for tax breaks is predatory and anti-competitive," Castro wrote on social media in November.
Following fan and industry outrage over the film's unceremonious fate, Netflix, Amazon and Paramount screened the film and "submitted handsome offers," none of which were accepted, The Wrap reported earlier this month.
"When I first heard that our movie was getting 'deleted,' I hadn't seen it yet," Forte wrote, addressing the film's cast and crew. "So I was thinking what everyone else must have been thinking: this thing must be a hunk of junk. But then I saw it. And it's incredible."
The SNL alum referenced the movie's high score among test audiences, and he lamented the studio's decision to bring the project to a premature end.
"The people who paid for this movie can obviously do whatever they want with it," Forte wrote, adding, "It doesn't mean I have to like it … Or agree with it."
"Please know that all the years and years of hard work, dedication and love that you put into this movie shows in every frame," he concluded.
Based on a satirical 1990 New Yorker article by Ian Frazier, the film stars Forte and John Cena alongside the animated Wile E. Coyote, who is suing the Acme Corporation over oft-backfiring products with which Coyote attempted to capture the Road Runner in the classic Looney Tunes cartoons.
"Mr. Coyote states that on occasions too numerous to list in this document he has suffered mishaps with explosives purchased of Defendant," reads the humor piece, written in the style of a court docket.
This is the third time Warner Bros. Discovery has axed a film in its final stages, with "Scoob! Holiday Haunt" and "Batgirl" being trimmed off the studio's balance sheet in 2022.
"As the Justice Department and @FTC revise their antitrust guidelines they should review this conduct," Castro wrote in his November social media post. "As someone remarked, it's like burning down a building for the insurance money."
- In:
- Hollywood
- Movies
- Warner Bros.
- Coyote
Rishi Rajagopalan is a social media associate producer and content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (985)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Arizona AG investigating 2020 alleged fake electors tied to Trump
- Zooey Deschanel and Fiancé Jonathan Scott Share Glimpse Inside Paris Trip After Engagement
- California’s Top Methane Emitter is a Vast Cattle Feedlot. For Now, Federal and State Greenhouse Gas Regulators Are Giving It a Pass.
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Hilary rapidly grows to Category 4 hurricane off Mexico and could bring heavy rain to US Southwest
- Survey shows most people want college athletes to be paid. You hear that, NCAA?
- Georgia school board fires teacher for reading a book to students about gender identity
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Another person dies in Atlanta jail that’s under federal investigation
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Justice Department seeks 33 years in prison for ex-Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio in Jan. 6 case
- Salma Hayek Reveals She Had to Wear Men's Suits Because No One Would Dress Her in the '90s
- Judge won’t delay Trump’s defamation claims trial, calling the ex-president’s appeal frivolous
- Average rate on 30
- Former Kentucky prosecutor indicted on federal bribery, fraud charges
- Jeremy Allen White Has a Shameless Reaction to Alexa Demie's Lingerie Photo Shoot
- The Bachelor Host Jesse Palmer Expecting First Baby With Pregnant Wife Emely Fardo
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Max Homa takes lead into weekend at BMW Championship after breaking course record
Trump's D.C. trial should not take place until April 2026, his lawyers argue
Thousands flee raging wildfire, turning capital of Canada’s Northwest Territories into ghost town
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Chinese military launches drills around Taiwan as ‘warning’ after top island official stopped in US
Former soldier sentenced to life in prison for killing Alabama police officer
Hormel sends 5 truckloads of Spam, a popular favorite in Hawaii, after Maui fires