Current:Home > Scams4 Las Vegas teenagers charged with murder as adults in fatal beating of high school classmate -FutureFinance
4 Las Vegas teenagers charged with murder as adults in fatal beating of high school classmate
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 03:22:56
Four teens were charged with murder in Las Vegas in the fatal beating of their high school classmate that was recorded and shared widely on social media, prosecutors said.
Las Vegas police said multiple students participated in the Nov. 1 brawl that left 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr. dead. At least eight students between the ages of 13 and 17 have been arrested so far.
Two 16-year-olds and two 17-year-olds were charged as adults with second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit battery. The four teens charged this week will remain held without bail, but a judge Tuesday granted a joint request from prosecutors and defense attorneys to transfer them from the county jail to the juvenile detention center.
Prosecutors decided against a first-degree murder charge because the evidence indicates the beating was not a premeditated act, according to District Attorney Steve Wolfson.
USA TODAY is not naming the students because they are juveniles.
What happened to Jonathan Lewis Jr.?
Lewis died days after a fight on Nov. 1 in an alley near Rancho High School with his classmates. Authorities said as soon as the first punch was thrown, ten people swarmed him, forced him to the ground, and began to kick, punch, and stomp on him.
Police believe the fight was over a pair of headphones and vape pen stolen from Jonathan’s friend, but once they were all in the alley, it was Jonathan who fought instead.
After the fight, a passerby found the teenager unconscious in the alley and carried him to the school, where staff performed CPR. First responders rushed him to the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada, where it was determined Jonathan suffered from "non-survivable head trauma."
Jonathan Lewis Sr., an electrician who lives in Austin, Texas, said his son was "a hero" who stuck up for his friend.
"That's just the kind of person he was," Lewis, 38, told USA TODAY. He described his son as an avid hip-hop fan who liked to make digital art.
Lewis said when he got the phone call that his son was attacked and in the hospital, he could "could barely walk."
Police suspect 10 people involved
Videos of the incident, which police officials have called "extremely disturbing" and "void of humanity,” circulated social media and were used by investigators to identify eight of the 10 suspects.
Last week, police and the FBI coordinated arrests of the eight students and executed search warrants at nine homes throughout Las Vegas. Authorities said clothing worn by teenagers in the video and cellphones were recovered.
The students arrested and not formally charged this week are awaiting separate hearings because they are all under the age of 16.
In Nevada, a teenager accused of murder can be charged as an adult if they were 13 or older at the time of the alleged crime. But they are entitled to a certification hearing when a family court judge weighs the evidence and the teen’s history before deciding whether they will be transferred to the adult court system.
Teens 16 or older accused of murder in Nevada can be charged as adults without a certification hearing.
Contributing: Associated Press
veryGood! (69966)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Charges against Miles Bridges connected to domestic violence case dropped
- Three officers are shot in Washington, police say. The injuries don’t appear to be life-threatening
- Unlocking desire through smut; plus, the gospel of bell hooks
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- American woman killed in apparent drug dealer crossfire in Mexican resort city of Tulum
- Dow tumbles more than 700 points after hot inflation report
- Oklahoma country radio station won't play Beyoncé's new song. Here's why
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Drake places $1.15 million Super Bowl bet on the Chiefs to win
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Greek lawmakers are debating a landmark bill to legalize same-sex marriage. Here’s what it means
- Minnesota health officials say Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in Grand Rapids linked to city's water
- Diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives limited at Kentucky colleges under Senate bill
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Unlocking desire through smut; plus, the gospel of bell hooks
- I felt like I was going to have a heart attack: Michigan woman won $500k from scratcher
- What is income tax? What to know about how it works, different types and more
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Connecticut pastor found with crystal meth during traffic stop, police say
NFL power rankings: Super Bowl champion Chiefs, quarterback issues invite offseason shake-up
Nebraska GOP bills target college professor tenure and diversity, equity and inclusion
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Family of man who died after being tackled by mental crisis team sues paramedic, police officer
Pop culture that gets platonic love right
Alabama lawmakers want to change archives oversight after dispute over LGBTQ+ lecture