Current:Home > ContactDiddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video -FutureFinance
Diddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 00:31:00
Sean "Diddy" Combs' key to New York City has officially been rescinded less than a year after it was issued.
New York City Mayor Eric Adams' office confirmed to USA TODAY on Sunday that the key bestowed upon Diddy in September has been revoked after surveillance footage surfaced that shows the embattled rapper assaulting his then-girlfriend, Cassie Ventura, in a hotel hallway in 2016.
In a letter sent to Diddy dated June 4, Adams said he was "deeply disturbed" by the video footage and asked him to immediately return the key.
"I strongly condemn these actions and stand in solidarity with all survivors of domestic and gender-based violence," the mayor wrote in the letter, which was shared with USA TODAY. "Our city has worked tirelessly to make sure survivors are heard and seen by our administration."
The key to New York City is described as "a beloved symbol of civic recognition and gratitude reserved for individuals whose service to the public and the common good rises to the highest level of achievement."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But Adams said a committee recommended revoking the key from the music mogul, who since last year has faced multiple allegations of sexual assault.
According to Fabien Levy, deputy mayor for communications, Adams' office received the key back on June 10.
Sean 'Diddy' Combs' legal issues:A timeline of allegations and the rapper's life, career
Diddy, 54, was honored with the key to New York City in a ceremony held in Times Square on Sept. 15. "I'm a New York boy, and I just got to key to the city, and everything is just a little surreal right now," he said at the time.
While introducing Diddy, Adams said that "the bad boy of entertainment is getting the key to the city from the bad boy of politics."
Two months later, Ventura sued Diddy for alleged rape, abuse and sex trafficking, and the Bad Boy Records founder subsequently faced additional sexual abuse allegations. Ventura's suit was settled one day after being filed. Diddy's homes were later raided by law enforcement.
In May, surveillance video obtained by CNN showed Diddy assaulting Ventura at a hotel. After the footage's release, Diddy issued an apology without mentioning Ventura's name.
"My behavior on that video is inexcusable," he said. "I take full responsibility for my actions ... I'm disgusted. I was disgusted then when I did it, (and) I'm disgusted now."
Earlier this month, Howard University rescinded an honorary degree that was presented to Diddy in 2014.
“Mr. Combs' behavior as captured in a recently released video is so fundamentally incompatible with Howard University's core values and beliefs that he is deemed no longer worthy to hold the institution’s highest honor," a Howard spokesperson said. "The university is unwavering in its opposition to all acts of interpersonal violence."
Contributing: Minnah Arshad and Anika Reed, USA TODAY
veryGood! (32)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Supermarket sued after dancer with 'severe peanut allergy' dies eating mislabeled cookies, suit claims
- Where Alexander “A.E.” Edwards and Travis Scott Stand After Altercation in Cannes
- Human remains found in jaws of alligator in Houston after woman reported missing
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Score 70% Off Banana Republic, 60% Off J.Crew, 65% Off Reebok, $545 Off iRobot Vacuums & More Deals
- Heat-related monkey deaths are now reported in several Mexican states
- Not-so-happy meal: As fast food prices surge, many Americans say it's become a luxury
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- House Ethics Committee investigating indicted Rep. Henry Cuellar
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Medline recalls 1.5 million adult bed rails following 2 reports of entrapment deaths
- World's first wooden satellite built by Japanese researchers
- Dolly Parton Says This Is the Secret to Her 57-Year Marriage to Carl Dean
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Nearly 3 out of 10 children in Afghanistan face crisis or emergency level of hunger in 2024
- Plaza dedicated at the site where Sojourner Truth gave her 1851 ‘Ain’t I a Woman?’ speech
- Will Below Deck Med ‘s Captain Sandy Yawn Officiate Aesha Scott's Wedding? The Stew Says...
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
US pledges $135 million in aid to Western-leaning Moldova to counter Russian influence
The love in Bill Walton's voice when speaking about his four sons was unforgettable
When does the Nvidia stock split happen? What you need to know
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
An Iceland volcano spews red streams of lava toward an evacuated town
NRA can sue ex-NY official it says tried to blacklist it after Parkland shooting, Supreme Court says
Families reclaim the remains of 15 recently identified Greek soldiers killed in Cyprus in 1974