Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -FutureFinance
Fastexy:Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 05:56:07
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on FastexyDec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (49)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Winners and losers from NCAA men's tournament bracket include North Carolina, Illinois
- When is First Four for March Madness 2024? Dates, times and how to watch NCAA Tournament
- Ohio primary will set up a fall election that could flip partisan control of the state supreme court
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- One Way Back: Christine Blasey Ford on speaking out, death threats, and life after the Kavanaugh hearings
- 1 dead, 5 injured in Indianapolis bar shooting; police search for suspects
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Bring the Heat
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Hormel concedes double-dippers had it right, invents chips so all can enjoy snacking bliss
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- In Vermont, ‘Town Meeting’ is democracy embodied. What can the rest of the country learn from it?
- Long Beach State secures March Madness spot — after agreeing to part ways with coach Dan Monson
- Authorities had cause to take Maine gunman into custody before mass shooting, commission finds
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- No, lice won't go away on their own. Here's what treatment works.
- Watch Rob Kardashian's Sweet Birthday Tribute From Khloe Kardashian's Kids True and Tatum Thompson
- ‘There’s no agenda here': A look at the judge who is overseeing Trump’s hush money trial
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
South Carolina and Iowa top seeds in the women’s NCAA Tournament
Reddit stock is about to go hit the market, the platform's users are not thrilled
Taylor Swift is a cultural phenomenon. She's also a victim of AI deepfakes.
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire merges original cast and new talent 40 years after the movie premiered
Supreme Court rejects appeal by former New Mexico county commissioner banned for Jan. 6 insurrection
Federal Reserve is likely to preach patience as consumers and markets look ahead to rate cuts