Current:Home > NewsDancers call off strike threat ahead of Olympic opening ceremony, but tensions remain high -FutureFinance
Dancers call off strike threat ahead of Olympic opening ceremony, but tensions remain high
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 00:14:05
As the world’s attention turns to France for the 2024 Paris Olympics, performers for the opening ceremony called off their strike notice Wednesday, just two days before the Games’ flagship event.
After negotiations between the SFA-CGT union representing performers, Paris 2024 organizers and Panam 24 (the producers of the opening ceremony) ended in a stalemate and a continued strike notice Tuesday, the union said Wednesday it accepted an offer involving increased pay for performers’ broadcasting rights.
"This period has closed with a victory, which if not total, at least responds to the emergencies raised," the union said in a statement in French.
Although the union said it was suspending its strike notice, its statement noted a failure to resolve its concern involving the lack of accommodations for performers who reside outside of the Paris metropolitan area.
“This remains a strong point of tension,” the statement read.
Meet Team USA: See which athletes made the U.S. Olympic team and where they are from
The IOC and the SFA-CGT union did not immediately respond to requests from USA TODAY for comment.
The union had announced its strike notice for the Olympic and Paralympic Opening Ceremonies in a statement last week citing pay, benefit and treatment disparities between performers and disputes over intellectual property and image rights as the main causes of its grievances.
"While the slogan ‘Doing better together’ is displayed everywhere in the streets of Paris today, we note that our employment conditions have not been discussed together, nor for the better!” SFA-CGT said in French in last week’s statement.
One video posted to X showed approximately 200 performers standing on the bank of the Seine with their fists raised in protest Monday during rehearsals. The Olympic opening ceremony will be held Friday on the Seine, marking the first time the ceremony will be held outside a stadium in modern Olympic history.
The union initially raised its concerns in a June 7 statement, saying dancers had alerted it to contract conditions that they alleged broke the social charter signed by Paris 2024 organizers. A second statement released last week by the union said it was referred to the Olympic Social Charter Committee and it had held prior negotiations with Paris 2024 and Paname 24 on July 3 and 9.
Before Wednesday’s agreement, tensions peaked Tuesday when the entertainment union federation to which SFA-CGT is affiliated announced it planned to maintain its strike notice after negotiations on Tuesday failed to reach a strike-ending agreement.
The entertainment union federation created an online fund Tuesday to financially support any performers who chose to strike.
"While the Olympic Games are heralded a great celebration, it has a bitter taste for all those artists who feel scorned and little considered,” the statement attached to the fundraiser read in French.
Although this dispute reached an agreement, ongoing strike notices from other sectors, including Paris airport workers and taxi drivers, continue to raise concerns for a country known for its labor strikes as the opening ceremony draws closer.
veryGood! (333)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- FAA ramps up oversight of Boeing's manufacturing procedures
- Columnist’s lawyer warns judge that Trump hopes to ‘sow chaos’ as jury considers defamation damages
- Sam's Club announces it will stop checking receipts and start using AI at exits
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Michigan’s tax revenue expected to rebound after a down year
- Mayday call from burning cargo ship in New Jersey prompted doomed rescue effort for 2 firefighters
- War in Gaza, election factor into some of the many events planned for MLK holiday
- Sam Taylor
- Police in Puerto Rico capture a rhesus macaque monkey chased by a crowd at a public housing complex
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- 'Highest quality beef:' Mark Zuckerberg's cattle to get beer and macadamia nuts in Hawaii
- War in Gaza, election factor into some of the many events planned for MLK holiday
- FAA ramps up oversight of Boeing's manufacturing procedures
- Sam Taylor
- Ohio, more states push for social media laws to limit kids’ access: Where they stand
- 2 brothers fall into frozen pond while ice fishing on New York lake, 1 survives and 1 dies
- House Republicans shy away from Trump and Rep. Elise Stefanik's use of term Jan. 6 hostages
Recommendation
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Colin Kaepernick on Jim Harbaugh: He's the coach to call to compete for NFL championship
Tom Holland Addresses Zendaya Breakup Rumors
6 Turkish soldiers killed in an attack on a base in northern Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Khloe Kardashian Shares Why She Doesn’t “Badmouth” Ex Tristan Thompson
Bodies of 9 men found in vehicles near fuel pipeline in Mexico
The US struggles to sway Israel on its treatment of Palestinians. Why Netanyahu is unlikely to yield