Current:Home > InvestFormer Uvalde mayor is surprised a new report defends how police responded to school shooting -FutureFinance
Former Uvalde mayor is surprised a new report defends how police responded to school shooting
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:22:54
The former Uvalde mayor who ordered an investigation into actions by local police during the Robb Elementary School shooting said Friday he was surprised the report defended officers and believes the acting chief on the scene failed during the 2022 massacre.
“What I’ve seen so far, it’s not quite what I was expecting,” said Don McLaughlin, who stepped down as mayor of the small Texas city last year and is now the Republican nominee for a seat in the state Legislature.
The independent report released Thursday was commissioned by the city to determine if any of the 28 Uvalde Police Department officers and three dispatchers violated department policy in their response to the shooter who killed 19 students and two teachers. Nearly 400 law enforcement agents, including Uvalde police, rushed to the school but waited more than an hour to confront the teenage gunman who was inside a fourth-grade classroom with an AR-style rifle.
The new report, which acknowledged missteps but ultimately defended the actions of local police, prompted outrage from several family members of the victims during a City Council presentation. One person in the audience screamed “Coward!” and some family members angrily walked out of the meeting.
McLaughlin, who ordered the independent probe in the weeks following the shooting, said that although he had not read the entire 180-page report he was surprised by some of its findings. He singled out the actions of former Uvalde Lt. Mariano Pargas, who was the city’s acting police chief at the time.
In January, a sweeping Justice Department report criticized six responding officers from Uvalde police, including Pargas, for not advancing down a school hallway to engage the shooter. Federal investigators also said in that report that Pargas “continued to provide no direction, command or control to personnel” for nearly an hour after the shooter entered the classroom.
Jesse Prado, a former police officer and investigator for the Austin Police Department who conducted the inquiry for the City of Uvalde, noted that Pargas retired from the job just days after his interview. But he said if he had remained, “it would be my recommendation and my team’s recommendation to exonerate Lt. Pargas.”
McLaughlin said he disagreed with those findings.
“I’m not speaking on behalf of anyone else ... but in my opinion, Mariano Pargas failed that day as acting chief,” McLaughlin said.
“That part I heard — that they said they exonerated him — I disagree with that,” he said.
Pargas, an 18-year UPD veteran, was acting chief on the day of the shooting because Chief Daniel Rodriguez was out of town on vacation. Phone and email messages left Friday with Pargas, who has since been elected as a Uvalde county commissioner, were not immediately returned.
In the nearly two years since the shooting, families have accused police of a leadership void during the 77 minutes that elapsed between the gunman’s arrival and police confronting him.
Others criticized for their actions during the shooting also remain in elected office. Uvalde County Sheriff Ruben Nolasco advanced to a runoff during Tuesday’s GOP primary and county constable Emmanuel Zamora defeated his Republican challenger outright.
Prado’s report was also highly critical of the district attorney for Uvalde County, Christina Mitchell, who the investigator accused of hindering the inquiry by refusing to share reports and evidence gathered by other law enforcement agencies.
McLaughlin blamed Mitchell for the report taking nearly two years to complete. Mitchell did not return phone and email messages seeking comment Friday.
“The district attorney has blocked this every way,” he said. “I don’t know what her agenda is.
“I understand she has an investigation, but you can still run an investigation and be transparent.”
A criminal investigation into the law enforcement response remains open and a grand jury was summoned earlier this year.
veryGood! (62)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Mary Lou Retton in ‘recovery mode’ at home after hospital stay for pneumonia, daughter says
- Israeli military reservist from D.C. suburb is killed in missile attack in Israel
- Stevia was once banned in the US: Is the sugar substitute bad for you?
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- What Lori Loughlin Told John Stamos During College Admissions Scandal
- A new RSV shot for infants is in short supply
- Maryland Terrapins assisant coach Kevin Sumlin arrested for DUI in Florida
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Miners from a rival union hold hundreds of colleagues underground at a gold mine in South Africa
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Migrant bus conditions 'disgusting and inhuman,' says former vet who escorted convoys
- Giannis Antetokoumpo staying in Milwaukee, agrees to three-year extension with Bucks
- Wisconsin Republicans look to pass constitutional amendments on voter eligibility, elections grants
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Off-Duty Pilot Charged With 83 Counts of Attempted Murder After Plane Cockpit Incident
- Tennessee GOP is willing to reject millions in funding, if it avoids complying with federal strings
- Jennifer Lopez's Intimissimi Lingerie Collection Will Have Jaws on the Floor
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Trump declines to endorse GOP speaker candidate for now, says he's trying to stay out of it
Bobby Charlton, Manchester United legend, dies at 86
Suspect killed after confrontation with deputies in Nebraska
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
AP PHOTOS: Thousands attend a bullfighting competition in Kenya despite the risk of being gored
Democratic governor spars with Republican challenger over pandemic policies in Kentucky debate
New details emerge after off-duty pilot allegedly tried to shut off engines on flight