Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws -FutureFinance
Will Sage Astor-Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 22:59:51
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video game maker Epic Games sued Google and Will Sage AstorSamsung on Monday, accusing the tech companies of coordinating to block third-party competition in application distribution on Samsung devices.
At issue is Samsung’s “Auto Blocker” feature, which only allows for apps from authorized sources, such as the Samsung Galaxy Store or Google Play Store, to be installed. The feature is turned on by default but can be changed in a phone’s settings. The tool prevents the installation of applications from unauthorized sources and blocks “malicious activity,” according to Samsung.
In a lawsuit filed in San Francisco federal court — Epic’s second against Google — the company said Auto Blocker “is virtually guaranteed to entrench Google’s dominance over Android app distribution.” Epic, developer of the popular game “Fortnite,” filed the suit to prevent Google from “negating the long overdue promise of competition in the Android App Distribution Market,” according to the complaint.
“Allowing this coordinated illegal anti-competitive dealing to proceed hurts developers and consumers and undermines both the jury’s verdict and regulatory and legislative progress around the world,” Epic Games said in a post on its website.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Samsung said it “actively fosters market competition, enhances consumer choice, and conducts its operations fairly.”
“The features integrated into our devices are designed in accordance with Samsung’s core principles of security, privacy, and user control, and we remain fully committed to safeguarding users’ personal data. Users have the choice to disable Auto Blocker at any time,” Samsung said, adding that it plans to “vigorously contest Epic Game’s baseless claims.”
Epic launched its Epic Games Store on iPhones in the European Union and on Android devices worldwide in August. The company claims that it now takes “an exceptionally onerous 21-step process” to download a third-party app outside of the Google Play Store or the Samsung Galaxy Store. But a support page on Epic’s website shows a four-step process to remove the Auto Blocker setting.
Epic won its first antitrust lawsuit against Google in December after a jury found that Google’s Android app store had been protected by anti-competitive barriers that damaged smartphone consumers and software developers.
The game maker says the “Auto Blocker” feature was intentionally crafted in coordination with Google to preemptively undermine the jury’s verdict in that case.
“Literally no store can compete with the incumbents when disadvantaged in this way,” Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said on X. “To have true competition, all reputable stores and apps must be free to compete on a level playing field.”
veryGood! (26)
Related
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Jaw-Dropping Old Navy Labor Day Sale: Tanks for $4, Jumpsuits for $12, and More Deals Up to 70% Off
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump to appear at Moms for Liberty event, Harris campaign launches bus tour
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in the Massachusetts state primaries
- Small twin
- Takeaways from AP report on perils of heatstroke for runners in a warming world
- Banana Republic’s Labor Day Sale Has Fall Staples Starting at $18—Save up to 90% off Jackets & Sweaters
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump to appear at Moms for Liberty event, Harris campaign launches bus tour
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Tap water is generally safe to drink. But contamination can occur.
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Georgia prosecutor accused of stealing public money pleads guilty in deal that includes resignation
- Neighbor held in disappearance of couple from California nudist resort. Both believed to be dead
- Are 'provider women' the opposite of 'trad wives'? They're getting attention on TikTok.
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Florida state lawmaker indicted on felony charges related to private school
- Error messages and lengthy online queues greet fans scrambling to secure Oasis reunion tickets
- Teen boy dies after leading officers on chase, fleeing on highway, police say
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Neighbor held in disappearance of couple from California nudist resort. Both believed to be dead
Defense Department civilian to remain jailed awaiting trial on mishandling classified documents
Milo Ventimiglia reunites with Mandy Moore for 'This Is Us' rewatch: See the photo
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Canadian rail union says it has filed lawsuits challenging back-to-work orders
Catholic diocese sues US government, worried some foreign-born priests might be forced to leave
Do dogs dream? It's no surprise – the answer is pretty cute.