Current:Home > MarketsTwo Indiana police officers are acquitted of excessive force in 2020 protesters’ arrests -FutureFinance
Two Indiana police officers are acquitted of excessive force in 2020 protesters’ arrests
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 17:46:03
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Two Indianapolis police officers were acquitted early Saturday of using excessive force to strike two women with batons during arrests at a May 2020 protest against racial injustice and police brutality.
Officers Jonathan Horlock and Nathaniel Schauwecker had been charged with battery and official misconduct in the case. They were among officers ordered to arrest people gathered at a downtown Indianapolis intersection in violation of an 8 p.m. curfew.
After more than 10 hours of deliberation, the jury found the officers not guilty of four of the charges they faced. The jury could not reach verdicts on one charge of battery and one charge of official misconduct, local news outlets reported.
Prosecutors argued the officers did not respond in a reasonable way to actions by the two women, Ivore Westfield and Rachel Harding. The arrests reportedly left the women with multiple bruises and sore areas.
However, the officer’s attorney, John Kautzman, said the men did what they are trained to do. The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has said the officers followed policy in their use of force.
The episode followed several days of Black Lives Matter protests occurring downtown after the murder of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis.
Neither woman was charged with a crime. They have filed a federal lawsuit against Horlock, Schauwecker and two other officers that is pending.
Horlock and Schauwecker have been on administrative leave since the episode.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- TikToker Taylor Frankie Paul Facing Domestic Violence and Child Abuse Charges After Arrest
- Chrishell Stause Reveals the Beauty Hack That Keeps Her Looking Young
- Inside the Love Lives of the Daisy Jones & the Six Stars
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Credit Suisse will borrow up to nearly $54 billion from Swiss central bank in bid to calm fears
- U.S. government agencies may have been double billed for projects in Wuhan, China, records indicate; probe launched
- Matthew McConaughey Shares Photo of Son Levi, 14, After Surfing Injury
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Why Sam Claflin Was Happy With His “Boring” Costumes on Daisy Jones and the Six
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- TikTok's Tinx Reveals She and Boyfriend Sansho Scott Have Broken Up
- This $89 Walmart Suitcase With 14,900+ 5-Star Reviews Proves That Affordable Luggage Can Be Reliable
- Funny Girl With Lea Michele to End Its Broadway Run
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Tom Sizemore Dead at 61 After Suffering Brain Aneurysm
- Why Vanderpump Rules Stars Tom Sandoval and Ariana Madix's Break Up Has Everyone Talking
- Heather Rae El Moussa Teases Her Future on Selling Sunset
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Police seize cache of drugs branded with photos of Mafia leaders — including Cosa Nostra fugitive who was recently arrested
The Super Mario Bros. Movie Director Defends Controversial Chris Pratt Casting
New giant trapdoor spider species discovered in Australia
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
How Survivor 44's Bloody Season Premiere Made Show History
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Have Been Requested to Vacate Frogmore Cottage Home
Did RHOBH's Erika Jayne Just Announce a Las Vegas Show? See Her Big Career News