Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-Storied football rivalry in Maine takes on extra significance in wake of shooting -FutureFinance
TradeEdge-Storied football rivalry in Maine takes on extra significance in wake of shooting
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 05:44:01
LEWISTON,TradeEdge Maine (AP) — The city of Lewiston takes another tentative step in its recovery from Maine’s worst mass shooting, as high school football returns Wednesday.
Known as the “Battle of the Bridge,” the game features cross-river rivals Lewiston High School and Edward Little High School in Auburn. Friday’s game between the Blue Devils and the Red Eddies was postponed after the communities were locked down while police searched for 40-year-old Robert Card. He was found dead Friday, days after shooting and killing 18 people and injuring 13 others at a bowling alley and bar in Lewiston.
“It’s seemingly more symbolic than ever,” Lewiston Public Schools Superintendent Jake Langlais said of the game that comes after residents in both Lewiston and Auburn lost family and friends in the Oct. 25 shooting.
“It’s the first time since this terrible event that both communities have really felt we could come back together and at least try to make new memories to replace the terrible things we saw and heard last week,” he said. “It’s really deep if you think of it from that context of we are going to climb out of this hole together.”
The game is one the most important every year for the former mill towns, with friends and family having connections to it that go back decades. In the past, the schools would have a walking parade from one city to the next, with fans dressing up in their team colors of blue and white and maroon and white. The winner of the game gets to hold a trophy for the year, and, of course, gets the bragging rights that go with the victory.
“It’s bigger than just the rivalry across the river. It’s been a bit of a production,” Langlais said, adding that Wednesday night’s crowd was likely to be bigger than ever.
This game even caught the eye of actor Will Ferrell, who did a hype video that the Lewiston High School athletic department posted on social network X, formerly known as Twitter. In it, Ferrell stares into the camera as if he is a coach prepping his players for the big game.
“Today’s the day. Showdown. Lewiston versus Edward Little. Everyone’s going to be watching, everyone’s going to be talking about it,” he said. “So, lets bring it on! Lets bring it on like Donkey Kong! Have a great game. Go! Fight! Win! Whatever that means.”
The school confirmed it worked with Ferrell on the video, with Langlais calling him a “good human that thought comedy and humor might help as part of the healing process.”
veryGood! (77927)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Judge won’t block Georgia prosecutor disciplinary body that Democrats fear is aimed at Fani Willis
- Cindy Crawford Weighs in on Austin Butler’s Elvis Accent
- 2024 Olympics: See All the Stars at the Paris Games
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Rob Lowe’s Son John Owen Shares Why He Had a Mental Breakdown While Working With His Dad
- Whistleblower tied to Charlotte Dujardin video 'wants to save dressage'
- Exclusive: Tennis star Coco Gauff opens up on what her Olympic debut at Paris Games means
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Small stocks are about to take over? Wall Street has heard that before.
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Back-to-school shopping 2024 sales tax holidays: Tennessee, Florida and Ohio next up
- She's a basketball star. She wears a hijab. So she's barred from France's Olympics team
- Brittany Aldean Slams Maren Morris’ “Pro-Woman Bulls--t” Stance Amid Feud
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- North Korean charged in ransomware attacks on American hospitals
- Aunt of 'Claim to Fame' 'maniacal mastermind' Miguel is a real scream
- She's a basketball star. She wears a hijab. So she's barred from France's Olympics team
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Massachusetts governor signs bill cracking down on hard-to-trace ‘ghost guns’
Uvalde school police officer pleads not guilty to charges stemming from actions during 2022 shooting
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Let Me Spell It Out
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Zendaya's Wet Look at 2024 Paris Olympics Pre-Party Takes Home the Gold
Olympic wrestler Kyle Snyder keeps Michigan-OSU rivalry fire stoked with Adam Coon
Netanyahu meets with Biden and Harris to narrow gaps on a Gaza war cease-fire deal