Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-The US failed to track more than $1 billion in military gear given Ukraine, Pentagon watchdog says -FutureFinance
Indexbit-The US failed to track more than $1 billion in military gear given Ukraine, Pentagon watchdog says
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 20:02:36
WASHINGTON (AP) — Shortfalls in required monitoring by American officials mean the U.S. cannot track more than $1 billion in weapons and Indexbitmilitary equipment provided to Ukraine to fight invading Russian forces, according to a Pentagon audit released Thursday.
The findings mean that 59% of $1.7 billion in defense gear that the U.S. has provided Ukraine and was directed to guard against misuse or theft remained “delinquent,” the report by the Defense Department’s office of the inspector-general, the watchdog body for the Pentagon, said.
While Biden administration officials stressed Thursday that there was no evidence the weapons had been stolen, the audit undermines two years of lavish assurances from the administration that rigorous monitoring would keep U.S. military aid given to Ukraine from being misused. That’s despite the country’s longstanding reputation for corruption.
“There remains no credible evidence of illicit diversion of U.S.-provided advanced conventional weapons from Ukraine,” Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder, a Pentagon spokesman, told reporters. Citing what he said was Russian disinformation to the contrary, Ryder added, “The fact is, we observed the Ukrainians employing these capabilities on the battlefield. We’re seeing them use them effectively.”
President Joe Biden is already struggling to win congressional approval for more U.S. military and financial aid to Ukrainian government forces, which are struggling to drive out Russian forces that pushed deeper into the country in February 2022. The audit findings are likely to make Biden’s task even harder.
House Republican opposition for months has stalled Biden’s request to Congress for $105 billion more for Ukraine, Israel and other national security objectives. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Thursday that there was no funding left for additional military aid packages to Ukraine.
The U.S. has provided tens of billions of dollars in military aid to Ukraine, including big systems such as air defense. The end-use monitoring was required for gear that had sensitive technology and was smaller, making it more vulnerable to arms trafficking.
The Pentagon inspector general’s report said that the Defense Department had failed to maintain an accurate serial-number inventory of those defense articles for Ukraine as required.
Reasons for the shortfall in monitoring included limited staffing; the fact that procedures for carrying out end-use monitoring in a war zone weren’t put in place until December 2022; restrictions on movement for monitors within Ukraine; and a lack of internal controls on inventory, the report said.
While the U.S. had improved monitoring since the first year of the war, “significant personnel limitations and accountability challenges remain,” auditors said; full accounting of the gear was impossible as long as those shortfalls remained, they said.
Kirby said administration officials “has for many months now been interested in improving accountability over the end use of material that is provided to Ukraine.”
The audit didn’t attempt to determine whether any of the assistance had been diverted. It noted the Defense Department inspector-general’s office now had people stationed in Ukraine, and that its criminal investigators were still looking into allegations of criminal misuse of the security assistance.
Defense Department officials told auditors they expected to have systems for improved oversight in place this year and next.
—
Pentagon reporters Lolita C. Baldor and Tara Copp contributed.
veryGood! (61692)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- 'The Dukes of Hazzard' cast reunites, Daisy Duke star Catherine Bach hints at potential reboot
- New York will automatically seal old criminal records under law signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul
- Starbucks sued after California woman says 210-degree hot tea spilled on her in drive-thru
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Jimmy Kimmel returning to host the Oscars for 4th time at 96th Academy Awards
- Judge hands down 27-month sentence in attack on congresswoman in Washington apartment building
- Review: Death, duty and Diana rule ‘The Crown’ in a bleak Part 1 of its final season
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Police rescue children, patients after armed gang surrounds hospital in Haiti
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Story of a devastating wildfire that reads ‘like a thriller’ wins Baillie Gifford nonfiction prize
- Weird puking bird wins New Zealand avian beauty contest after John Oliver campaigns for it worldwide
- New Subaru Forester, Lucid SUV and Toyota Camry are among vehicles on display at L.A. Auto Show
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- An eco trio, a surprising flautist and a very weird bird: It's the weekly news quiz
- Hungary qualifies for Euro 2024 with own-goal in stoppage time in match marred by violence
- Hippos descended from pets of Pablo Escobar keep multiplying. Colombia has started to sterilize them.
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Trial wraps up for French justice minister in unprecedented case, with verdict set for late November
‘Bring them home': As the battle for Gaza rages, hostage families wait with trepidation
It's official: Oakland Athletics' move to Las Vegas unanimously approved by MLB owners
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
A secret revealed after the tragic death of former NHL player Adam Johnson
'I did what I had to do': Man rescues stranger after stabbing incident
11 ex-police officers get 50 years in prison for massacre near U.S. border in Mexico