Current:Home > NewsNo victims found after seven-story building partially collapses in Bronx -FutureFinance
No victims found after seven-story building partially collapses in Bronx
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:59:33
No victims were found hours after a seven-story residential building in the Bronx partially collapsed Monday afternoon and crews searched through a mountain of rubble, officials said.
Two people suffered minor injuries during evacuation, the fire department said Monday evening. Debris was 12 feet high in some places.
"Miraculously, no one was severely injured at the partial building collapse at 1915 Billingsley Terrace. From looking at the scene and surveillance footage, it could have been so much worse," Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said in a post on X.
The fire department said all people were evacuated from the partially collapsed building at 1915 Billingsley Terrace. The building has 47 residential units and six businesses.
New York police received a call at 3:38 p.m. of a partial building collapse, the department confirmed to USA TODAY. Images showed the corner of the building collapsed, with floors crumbling and dangling and the exterior walls gone.
“Due to an emergency response to a structural collapse, please avoid the area of West Burnside Avenue between Osborne Place and Phelan Place in the Bronx,” New York police said.
A worker at a nearby deli, Julian Rodriguez, said he was behind the counter when he heard people screaming about a building collapse.
“When I went outside, all you could see is the debris and a smoke cloud in the street,” said Rodriguez, 22. “And you could see inside the structure: people’s beds, their doors, closets, lights, everything. It was really scary.”
Residents were being directed to a school to get help, and the city was parking buses near the building as a place to stay warm.
James Oddo, commissioner of the New York City Department of Buildings said at a news briefing Monday the building owner last submitted a report in March 2021, which found unsafe conditions, including cracked bricks and deteriorating mortar.
Oddo said there were currently seven violations, but they were not structural. Work was being done on the building a few days ago. Oddo noted the building did have an active permit, but drawings had been submitted to pull it.
“We’re tunneling into that debris pile as safely as we can,” Hodgens said. “Firefighters right now are in a dangerous position. We don’t know what caused this corner of this building to come down. We don’t know if any of it is going to come down.”
Contributing: Associated Press
veryGood! (399)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- David Gail, soap star known for 'Beverly Hills, 90210' and 'Port Charles,' dies at 58
- Sarah, the Duchess of York, diagnosed with malignant melanoma found during breast cancer treatment
- Houthi rebels launch missile attack on yet another U.S.-owned commercial ship, Pentagon says
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Turkey investigates 8 bodies that washed up on its Mediterranean coast, including at a resort
- 4 rescued and 2 dead in crash of private Russian jet in Afghanistan, the Taliban say
- Former firefighter accused of planting explosives near California roadways pleads not guilty
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Taiwan says 6 Chinese balloons flew through its airspace, and warplanes and ships also detected
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Horoscopes Today, January 20, 2024
- If you donate DNA, what should scientists give in return? A 'pathbreaking' new model
- Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, Diagnosed With Skin Cancer After Breast Cancer Battle
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Trump may testify in sex abuse defamation trial, but the court has limited what he can say
- Looking to eat more protein? Consider adding chicken to your diet. Here's why.
- Indonesia’s Mount Merapi unleashes lava as other volcanoes flare up, forcing thousands to evacuate
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Beverly Hills, 90210 Actor David Gail Dead at 58
Libya says production has resumed at its largest oilfield after more than 2-week hiatus
'Wide right': Explaining Buffalo Bills' two heartbreaking missed kicks decades apart
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Poland’s prime minister visits Ukraine in latest show of foreign support for the war against Russia
U.S. teen fatally shot in West Bank by Israeli forces, Palestinian officials say
Travis Kelce Proves He's the King of Taylor Swift's Heart During Chiefs Playoffs Game