Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Trump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward -FutureFinance
EchoSense:Trump rules out another debate against Harris as her campaign announces $47M haul in hours afterward
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 23:34:13
Donald Trump on EchoSenseThursday ruled out another presidential debate against Kamala Harris as her campaign announced a massive fundraising haul in the hours after the two candidates met on stage.
Trump, the Republican nominee, posted on Truth Social that “THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!” following Tuesday’s debate against Harris and his June debate against President Joe Biden. In rejecting another debate, the former president suggested that a “prizefighter” who loses a bout is always the one to call for a rematch.
A day earlier, he had said, “I just don’t know,” to the question of whether he would meet Harris for another debate. Some Republicans, including the No. 2 GOP Senator John Thune, have urged Trump to debate against Harris again.
While he could still change his mind, his announcement means that Tuesday’s meeting will likely be the only time voters will see the two debate each other before the November election. More than 67 million people watched the Trump-Harris debate.
Harris, the Democratic nominee, said during a rally in North Carolina on Thursday she believes that she and the former president “owe it to voters” to debate again. Meanwhile, her campaign revealed that it had raised $47 million from nearly 600,000 donors in the 24 hours after her Tuesday debate against Trump.
“This historic, 24-hour haul reflects a strong and growing coalition of Americans united behind Vice President Harris’ candidacy that knows the stakes this November, and are doing their part to defeat Donald Trump this November,” campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon said.
The Tuesday debate was the first time that Trump and Harris had met, and the vice president largely controlled the tenor, goading Trump into agitated responses that contained exaggerations and mistruths. It came two months after Trump’s debate against Biden, whose unsteady performance and meandering answers led him to end his reelection bid and endorse Harris as his replacement on the ticket.
Trump raised doubts earlier in the campaign as to whether he would debate Harris at all. The two eventually agreed on the Tuesday debate on ABC.
Trump called Harris a “no-show” for a debate date that had been proposed earlier this month. Instead of an event with Harris, Trump ended up going on Fox News for a solo town hall with host Sean Hannity.
Fox News has issued invitations to both campaigns for a debate in October.
___
Associated Press writer Zeke Miller in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (21)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Deion Sanders condemns death threats directed at Colorado State's Henry Blackburn
- 'I really wanted to whoop that dude': Shilo Sanders irked by 'dirty' hit on Travis Hunter
- Russell Brand's assault, rape allegations being investigated: What his accusers say happened
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Work stress can double men's risk of heart disease, study shows
- Governor appoints Hollis T. Lewis to West Virginia House
- Railroads work to make sure firefighters can quickly look up what is on a train after a derailment
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Why Oprah Winfrey Wants to Remove “Shame” Around Ozempic Conversation
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Buddy Teevens, Dartmouth football coach, dies 6 months after being hit by pickup while cycling
- Suspects in child's fentanyl death at Bronx day care get federal charges
- Beverly Hills bans use of shaving cream, silly string on Halloween night
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Attorney General Merrick Garland says no one has told him to indict Trump
- Sophie Turner, Taylor Swift step out for girls night amid actress' divorce from Joe Jonas
- Having a hard time finding Clorox wipes? Blame it on a cyberattack
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
84-year-old man back in court after being accused of shooting Black teen Ralph Yarl
Zelenskyy avoids confrontation with Russian FM at UN Security Council meeting
Travis Kelce, Taylor Swift dating? Jason Kelce jokes the love story is '100% true'
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Seattle officer should be put on leave for callous remarks about woman’s death, watchdog group says
Man dead after attack by swarm of bees at his home, Kentucky coroner says
Lorde Shares “Hard” Life Update on Mystery Illness and Heartbreak