Current:Home > MarketsAlec Baldwin's Criminal Charges Dropped in Rust Shooting Case -FutureFinance
Alec Baldwin's Criminal Charges Dropped in Rust Shooting Case
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 23:45:12
Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter charge in the fatal shooting of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has been dropped.
The District Attorney of Santa Fe County in New Mexico will not be moving forward with plans to prosecute Baldwin, according to the actor's attorneys Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro.
"We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin," they said in a joint statement to NBC News, "and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident."
Baldwin also spoke out when he shared a photo of himself and wife Hilaria Baldwin on Instagram. "I owe everything I have to this woman," he wrote in the April 20 post, before seemingly also thanking Nikas. "(and to you, Luke)."
News of the dismissal comes almost two months after Baldwin and Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed each pleaded not guilty to one count of involuntary manslaughter in connection to Hutchins' death.
Hutchins was fatally wounded on the set of Rust in October 2021, when a lead projectile was discharged from prop gun that Baldwin was holding. The film's director Joel Souza was also hurt in the incident, though he has since recovered from his injuries.
Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed were formally charged in January. The following month, Baldwin's legal team accused prosecutors of committing "a basic legal error" by charging the 65-year-old under a version of a firearm-enhancement statute that did not exist at the time of the shooting.
"It thus appears that the government intended to charge the current version of the firearm enhancement statute, which was not enacted until May 18, 2022, seven months after the accident," Baldwin's counsel argued in court documents obtained by E! News, adding that it would be "flagrantly unconstitutional" if his charges were to remain as-is.
The five-year gun enhancement attached to the 30 Rock alum's charge was dropped in late February, significantly reducing his possible prison sentence if he were to be convicted.
Throughout the legal proceeding, Baldwin has denied any wrongdoing in Hutchins' death. "The trigger wasn't pulled," he said in a 2021 interview with ABC News. "I didn't pull the trigger."
Baldwin is scheduled to return to the Rust set as both an actor and producer when filming—which was halted in the wake of the shooting—resumes this spring. Hutchins' widower, Matthew Hutchins, has joined the project as an executive producer, while Bianca Cline will serve as the Western's new cinematographer, according to a press release previously obtained by E! News.
"Though bittersweet, I am grateful that a brilliant and dedicated new production team joining former cast and crew are committed to completing what Halyna and I started," director Souza said in a Feb. 14 statement. "My every effort on this film will be devoted to honoring Halyna's legacy and making her proud. It is a privilege to see this through on her behalf."
E! News has reached out to Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed's legal teams, as well as the District Attorney of Santa Fe County, for comment but hasn't heard back.
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (1)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- 2024 NFL free agency updates: Tracker for Tuesday buzz, notable moves with big names still unclaimed
- Can women and foreigners help drive a ramen renaissance to keep Japan's noodle shops on the boil?
- India’s new citizenship law excludes Muslims. Why?
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- In yearly Pennsylvania tradition, Amish communities hold spring auctions to support fire departments
- 22-year-old TikTok star dies after documenting her battle with a rare form of cancer
- Sauce Gardner says former teammate Mecole Hardman 'ungrateful' in criticizing Jets
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Jennifer Lopez cancels handful of shows on first tour in 5 years, fans demand explanation
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Anticipating the Stanley cup Neon Collection drop: What to know if you want a Spring Fling cup
- Olivia Munn Shares Breast Cancer Diagnosis
- Princess Kate's edited photo carries lessons about posting on social media
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- House Democrats try to force floor vote on foreign aid for Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan
- Chiefs opening up salary cap space by restructuring Patrick Mahomes' contract, per report
- Reba McEntire turns for superfan L. Rodgers on 'The Voice' in emotional audition: 'Meant to be'
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
National Good Samaritan Day: 6 of our most inspiring stories that highlight amazing humans
A Florida man kept having migraines. Doctors then discovered tapeworm eggs in his brain.
TEA Business College AI ProfitProphet 4.0’ Investment System Prototype
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Ten years after serving together in Iraq these battle buddies reunited
'Heartbreaking': 3 eggs of beloved bald eagle couple Jackie and Shadow unlikely to hatch
Millie Bobby Brown's Stranger Things Season 5 Premiere Update Will Turn Your Smile Upside Down