Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric "unacceptable" -FutureFinance
Rekubit-Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric "unacceptable"
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:31:27
Washington — Former Vice President Mike Pence said Sunday that former President Donald Trump's recent rhetoric about individuals facing charges related to their involvement in the Jan. 6,Rekubit 2021 attack on the Capitol are "unacceptable."
"I think it's very unfortunate at a time that there are American hostages being held in Gaza, that the President or any other leader will refer to people that are moving through our justice system as hostages," Pence said Sunday on "Face the Nation." "It's just unacceptable."
- Transcript: Former Vice President Mike Pence on "Face the Nation," March 17, 2024
At an Ohio rally on Saturday, the former president took the stage to a song said to have been recorded by a choir of prisoners facing Jan. 6-related charges. Trump called the individuals "hostages," noting that they have been treated "terribly" and adding that "we're going to be working on that soon."
Pence, who was a target of rioters on Jan. 6 for as he was set to certify President Biden's win that day, told Margaret Brennan that he has "no doubt" that some people involved in the Jan. 6 attack were "caught up in the moment and entered the Capitol." He then noted that those individuals are entitled to due process. But he added that "the assaults on police officers, ultimately an environment that claimed lives, is something that I think was tragic."
"I'll never diminish it," Pence said.
The comments come after Pence said Friday that he will not endorse former President Donald Trump. He reiterated that sentiment on Sunday, saying that he "cannot in good conscience" endorse Trump this year.
The former vice president noted that while Jan. 6 is among the differences between himself and Trump, the reasons he says he will not endorse Trump go further.
"For me, the reason why I won't endorse Donald Trump this year is because I see him departing from the mainstream conservative agenda that has defined the Republican Party over the last 40 years, and still has the best hope for the future of the country," Pence said.
Pence abandoned his own presidential campaign months ago, as his White House bid struggled to take off. The decision not to endorse Trump appears to be a departure from early in the primary campaign. At the time, Pence raised his hand during a GOP debate to signal that he would support the former president as the party's nominee even if he were convicted of a crime.
Trump and President Biden last week became the presumptive nominees of their respective parties.
Kaia HubbardKaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (5)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- From 'Lisa Frankenstein' to 'Terrifier 3,' these are the horror movies to see in 2024
- Riverdale's Lili Reinhart Shares Alopecia Diagnosis
- Rep. Cori Bush under investigation by Justice Department over security spending
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- 'The Bachelor' Contestant Daisy Kent Has Ménière's disease: What should you know about the condition
- Ambassador responds to call by Evert and Navratilova to keep women’s tennis out of Saudi Arabia
- Union calls on security workers at most major German airports to strike on Thursday
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Paris Hilton Celebrates Son Phoenix's 1st Birthday With Sliving Under the Sea Party
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Floridians could kill black bears when threatened at home under a bill ready for House vote
- Western monarch butterflies overwintering in California dropped by 30% last year, researchers say
- Former priest among victims of Palm Bay, Florida shooting that left 3 killed, suspected shooter dead
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Four Mexican tourists died after a boat capsized in the sea between Cancun and Isla Mujeres
- 3 NHL players have been charged with sexual assault in a 2018 case in Canada, their lawyers say
- Could the 2024 presidential election affect baby name trends? Here's what to know.
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
4 dead, including Florida man suspected of shooting and wounding 2 police officers
Rock band critical of Putin is detained in Thailand, fearful of deportation to Russia
El Salvador VP acknowledges ‘mistakes’ in war on gangs but says country is ‘not a police state’
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. mulls running for president as Libertarian as he struggles with ballot access
Walmart says managers can now earn up to $400,000 a year — no college degree needed
Utah joins 10 other states in regulating bathroom access for transgender people