Current:Home > NewsFormer CEO at center of fake Basquiats scandal countersues museum, claiming he is being scapegoated -FutureFinance
Former CEO at center of fake Basquiats scandal countersues museum, claiming he is being scapegoated
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 22:01:08
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A former executive director of a Florida museum that was raided last year by the FBI over an exhibit of what turned out to be forged Jean-Michel Basquiat paintings filed counterclaims Tuesday against the museum, claiming wrongful termination and defamation. The countersuit comes months after the institution sued him and others over the scandal.
Former CEO Aaron De Groft said in court papers in Orlando, Florida, that the board chairwoman and outside lawyers for the Orlando Museum of Art had signed off on the exhibit, even after the FBI had subpoenaed the museum’s records over the exhibit in July 2021.
De Groft said he was being made a scapegoat and that the museum’s lawsuit against him was a public relations stunt to save face and make him “the fall guy.” De Groft was fired in June 2022 after the FBI raid.
After reviewing documents and interviewing De Groft and other staff members, the outside lawyers told the executive director and chairwoman that there was no reason to pull the plug on the exhibit, as did FBI investigators, De Groft said in court papers filed in state court.
“These two statements fortified Defendant’s belief that the 25 paintings were authentic Basquiats,” said the former museum CEO.
De Groft is seeking more than $50,000 for wrongful termination, defamation and breach of contract.
An email seeking comment was sent Tuesday evening to a spokeswoman for the Orlando Museum of Art.
In the museum’s fraud, breach of contract and conspiracy lawsuit against De Groft and others, the institution claims its reputation was left in tatters, and it was put on probation by the American Alliance of Museums.
Basquiat, who lived and worked in New York City, found success in the 1980s as part of the neo-Expressionism movement. The Orlando Museum of Art was the first institution to display the more than two dozen artworks said to have been found in an old storage locker decades after Basquiat’s 1988 death from a drug overdose at age 27.
Questions about the artworks’ authenticity arose almost immediately after their reported discovery in 2012. The artwork was purportedly made in 1982, but experts have pointed out that the cardboard used in at least one of the pieces included FedEx typeface that wasn’t used until 1994, about six years after Basquiat died, according to the federal warrant from the museum raid.
Also, television writer Thad Mumford, the owner of the storage locker where the art was eventually found, told investigators that he had never owned any Basquiat art and that the pieces were not in the unit the last time he had visited. Mumford died in 2018.
In April, former Los Angeles auctioneer Michael Barzman agreed to plead guilty to federal charges of making false statements to the FBI, admitting that he and an accomplice had created the fake artwork and falsely attributed the paintings to Basquiat.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on X, formerly known as Twitter: @MikeSchneiderAP.
veryGood! (78494)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Travis Kelce, Damar Hamlin and More Who Topped Google's Top Trending Searches of 2023
- NFL’s Tony Romo Refers to Taylor Swift as Travis Kelce’s “Wife” During Chiefs Game
- LGBTQ+ activists in Minnesota want prosecutors to treat the killing of a trans woman as a hate crime
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- NFL’s Tony Romo Refers to Taylor Swift as Travis Kelce’s “Wife” During Chiefs Game
- Horoscopes Today, December 9, 2023
- Watch Hip-Hop At 50: Born in the Bronx, a CBS New York special presentation
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Save $200 On This Convertible Bag From Kate Spade, Which We Guarantee You'll Be Wearing Everywhere
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Biden invites Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to meet with him at the White House
- Elon Musk allows controversial conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on X
- What did you Google in 2023? ‘Barbie,’ Israel-Hamas war are among the year’s top internet searches
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Maryland women's basketball coach Brenda Frese: 'What are we doing to youth sports?'
- Andrea Bocelli shares voice update after last-minute Boston, Philadelphia cancellations: It rarely happens
- Skiing Santas hit the slopes in Maine
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Polling centers open in Egypt’s presidential elections
A rare piebald cow elk is spotted in Colorado by a wildlife biologist: See pictures
Justin Jefferson injury update: Vikings WR released from hospital, travels home with team
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Mark Ruffalo on his 'Poor Things' sex scenes, Oscar talk and the villain that got away
Mark Ruffalo on his 'Poor Things' sex scenes, Oscar talk and the villain that got away
'SNL' host Adam Driver plays piano, tells Santa 'wokeness' killed Han Solo in monologue