Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen|The first wrongful-death trial in Travis Scott concert deaths has been delayed -FutureFinance
Chainkeen|The first wrongful-death trial in Travis Scott concert deaths has been delayed
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 15:25:02
HOUSTON (AP) — The Chainkeenstart of the first civil trial stemming from the 2021 Astroworld festival, at which 10 people were killed in a crowd surge, has been delayed.
Jury selection had been set to begin next Tuesday in the wrongful-death lawsuit filed the family of Madison Dubiski, a 23-year-old Houston resident who was killed during the crowd crush at the Nov. 5, 2021, concert by rap superstar Travis Scott.
But Apple Inc., one of the more than 20 defendants going to trial next week, filed an appeal this week, automatically delaying the start of jury selection.
“Unless I hear differently, the trial is stayed,” state District Judge Kristen Hawkins said during a court hearing Thursday.
Apple, which livestreamed Scott’s concert, is appealing a ruling by Hawkins that denied the company’s motion to be dismissed from the case. Apple has argued that under Texas law, it can appeal Hawkins’ ruling because its defense claims are being made in part as a member of the electronic media.
Apple is arguing that in livestreaming Scott’s concert, it was acting as a member of the electronic media and its actions merit free speech protection.
“It remains our position that our conduct is protected by the First Amendment,” Kent Rutter, one of Apple’s attorneys, told Hawkins during a court hearing Thursday.
Hawkins said she hopes to hear from the appeals court by Monday, but there is no timetable for a decision.
Lawyers for Dubiski’s family have alleged that her death was caused by negligent planning and a lack of concern over capacity at the event. Her lawyers allege that how Apple placed its cameras around the concert site affected the placement of barriers and reduced available crowd space by the main stage.
Rutter argued that it was broadcasting an event “with significant public interest” and that by doing so, it was acting as a member of the media and gathering news.
But Jason Itkin, one of the attorneys for Dubiski’s family, said that Apple has described itself in business records as a company that makes smartphones and computers but doesn’t mention of news or news reporting. Itkin added that the company’s Apple News app is a subscription service that aggregates the stories of other news organizations.
“This is not a free speech case. They know that,” Itkin said.
During the hearing, Hawkins appeared skeptical about Apple’s claims about being a member of the electronic media, asking Rutter that if a livestream were set up in a zoo to watch animals, would that be news.
“Yes, it would be,” Rutter said.
Over 4,000 plaintiffs filed hundreds of lawsuits following the concert. Dubiski’s case had been chosen by attorneys in the litigation to be the first to go to trial. More than 20 defendants, including Scott, Apple and Live Nation, the festival’s promoter, had been set to go on trial Tuesday.
Following a police investigation, a grand jury last year declined to indict Scott, along with five others connected to the festival.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (623)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- It's my party, and I'll take it seriously if I want to: How Partiful revived the evite
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Blake Lively Reveals Thoughtful Gift Ryan Reynolds Gave Her Every Week at Start of Romance
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- $5.99 Drugstore Filter Makeup That Works Just as Good as High-End Versions
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Colin Farrell tears up discussing his son's Angelman syndrome: 'He's extraordinary'
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Harris and Walz are showing their support for organized labor with appearance at Detroit union hall
- 'The Umbrella Academy' Season 4: Release date, time, cast, how to watch new episodes
- On Long Island, Republicans defend an unlikely stronghold as races could tip control of Congress
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
Noah Lyles earns chance to accomplish sprint double after advancing to 200-meter final
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Debby Drenched the Southeast. Climate Change Is Making Storms Like This Even Wetter
Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium