Current:Home > NewsBarrage of bomb threats emailed to schools cancels classes across the Baltic countries -FutureFinance
Barrage of bomb threats emailed to schools cancels classes across the Baltic countries
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 18:57:23
VILNIUS, Lithuania (AP) — Emailed bomb threats sent to schools and kindergartens across the three Baltic nations this week led to the cancellation of classes across the region.
Lithuania’s police chief, Renatas Pozela, said “a coordinated mass attack” began late Thursday involved hundreds of emails that were sent from a server within the European Union. The majority of messages were in Russian and some had a political content, Pozela said.
In Estonia, a wave of threatening spam emails started late Wednesday. As a result, most schools in Tartu, the country’s second-largest city, were closed on Thursday.
Although hundreds of children in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia were told not to come to school because of bomb threats, Lithuanian Interior Minister Agne Bilotaite said there did not appear to be any danger.
“These false reports are intended to cause panic,” Bilotaite said, stressing “there is no need to panic.”
Aurelija Vernickaite, a spokesperson for the Lithuanian security agency, said the messages that appeared in Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia “likely were … carried out at the initiative of hostile states.”
They were aimed at “disturbing and destabilizing the work of institutions, and increasing mistrust,” she told the Baltic News Service, the region’s main news agency.
“As geopolitical tensions rise, Lithuania and the other Baltic states are constant targets of information and cyber-attacks by hostile states,” Vernickaite said. The Baltic countries are among the most vocal European critics of Russia and President Vladimir Putin.
Schools in Lithuania received 750 emails on Friday alone, and more were coming in, authorities said.
Law enforcement authorities in Latvia described the emails as a low-level threat and a targeted criminal action aimed at destabilizing society and the work of authorities. Schools and kindergartens were asked to stay open, but a number of them chose to suspend classes over several days as a precaution, the Baltic News Service said.
Latvian authorities believe the sender of the threat emails was the same person, had been active for about a year and had sent similar threat letters to various organizations, the news agency said.
Latvian and Estonian authorities said they were in contact. Latvian investigators are collaborating with the United States and Poland, where similar hostile activities were reported earlier, BNS said.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Retired Col. Paris Davis, Medal of Honor recipient, receives long-overdue recognition
- Family sues Georgia doctor after baby was decapitated during delivery, lawsuit alleges
- New school bus routes a ‘disaster,’ Kentucky superintendent admits. Last kids got home at 10 pm
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Bella Hadid Makes Return to Modeling Amid Health Journey
- Johnny Manziel's former teammate Mike Evans applauds him for speaking on mental health
- Johnny Manziel's former teammate Mike Evans applauds him for speaking on mental health
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- A Growing Movement Looks to End Oil Drilling in the Amazon
Ranking
- Small twin
- The Swift impact: Eras Tour stop is boosting Los Angeles' GDP by estimated $320 million
- Below Deck Down Under's Captain Jason Speaks Out on Sexual Misconduct After 2 Shocking Firings
- Sheriff: Inmate at Cook County Jail in Chicago beaten to death
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Robbie Robertson, The Band's lead guitarist and primary songwriter, dies at 80
- Taylor Swift Reveals Release Date and First Look at 1989 (Taylor's Version)
- Dramatic video shows 3 fishermen clinging to buoy off Nantucket rescued by Coast Guard helicopter crew
Recommendation
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Russia hits Ukraine with deadly hypersonic missile strike as Kyiv claims local women spying for Moscow
Hank Williams Jr. reflects on near-fatal fall: 'I am a very blessed and thankful man'
New southern Wisconsin 353 area code goes into effect in September
Bodycam footage shows high
Former NYPD inspector pleads guilty to obstructing probe of NYC mayor’s failed presidential bid
Pink Barbie cheesesteak a huge hit in central N.Y. eatery
Largest Mega Millions jackpot had multiple $1 million winners across the US