Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:Dime heist: 4 Philadelphia men charged after millions of dimes stolen from US Mint truck -FutureFinance
Rekubit Exchange:Dime heist: 4 Philadelphia men charged after millions of dimes stolen from US Mint truck
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:15:19
Federal authorities unsealed charges against four men accused of stealing over two million dimes from a U.S. Mint tractor-trailer truck in April.
Four Philadelphia men face conspiracy,Rekubit Exchange robbery, theft of government money and other charges. According to court documents, the men Rakiem Savage, 25; Ronald Byrd, 31; Haneef Palmer, 30; and Malik Palmer, 32, stole over $234,500 worth of dimes on April 13.
Prosecutors allege that the four men used bolt cutters to rob the unmarked tractor-trailer that had 75 million dimes, worth $750,000 on it, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported. The driver was on the way to Miami, but parked the trailer in a Walmart parking lot so he could get some sleep.
The four men had been on a robbery spree when they came across the truck. It doesn't appear that they knew what was inside it, prosecutors say.
Prosecutors also allege that the men were responsible for other robberies of freight trains passing through the region. Some of the stolen goods include alcoholic beverages, frozen crab legs, shrimp and meat.
More:Thieves steal $2,000 in used cooking oil from Chick-fil-A over the past few months
Dime heist details
When the driver returned to the truck in the morning, he found a trail of dimes. Officials told ABC6 at the time that the men appeared to try to load the dimes which were on pallets into smaller containers.
Philadelphia Police Capt. John Ryan, commanding officer of the Northeast Detectives told the Inquirer at the time that surveillance footage showed men in gray hoodies approaching the trailer in the middle of the night. After breaking in with box cutters, the men loaded the dimes into smaller bags and put them into another truck.
Videos show the parking lot covered in dimes.
“If for some reason you have a lot of dimes at home,” Philadelphia police spokesperson Miguel Torres told the New York Times at the time, “this is probably not the time to cash them in.”
More:More than $1 million in stolen dinosaur bones shipped to China, Justice officials say
On a dime: Documents reveal that thieves attempted to cash in
According to court filings, the men deposited and exchanged several thousand dollars worth of the stolen dimes.
The day after the robbery, Malik Palmer allegedly sent a link to an online calculator that uses the weight of coins to estimate the cash value to Byrd, who then sent it to the other two alleged robbers.
In the weeks that followed, the men then exchanged the dimes for cash at various Coinstar machines in Maryland, or deposited them into bank accounts before withdrawing them as cash, the court filings said.
The court filings only indicate that a small fraction of the stolen money was deposited or exchanged. It's unclear what happened to the rest of the over $200,000 stolen.
The Philadelphia Police Department did not respond to USA TODAY's request for comment.
More:Family behind $600 million nationwide catalytic converter theft ring pleads guilty
veryGood! (12)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Abortion-rights groups are courting Latino voters in Arizona and Florida
- Trump warns he’ll expel migrants under key Biden immigration programs
- 'Still floating': Florida boaters ride out Hurricane Helene
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Arkansas couple stunned when their black Nikes show up as Kendrick Lamar cover art
- One person died, others brought to hospitals after bus crashed on interstate in Phoenix
- What Caitlin Clark learned from first WNBA season and how she's thinking about 2025
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- What Caitlin Clark learned from first WNBA season and how she's thinking about 2025
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Teen wrestler mourned after sudden death at practice in Massachusetts
- Friend says an ex-officer on trial in fatal beating of Tyre Nichols did his job ‘by the book’
- Celebrity dog Swaggy Wolfdog offers reward for safe return of missing $100,000 chain
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Fifth Harmony Alums Camila Cabello & Normani Reunite for First Time in 6 Years at Paris Fashion Week
- Kristin Cavallari and Mark Estes Break Up After 7 Months
- Rescuers save and assist hundreds as Helene’s storm surge and rain create havoc
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
AI Is Everywhere Now—and It’s Sucking Up a Lot of Water
Why Adam Devine Is Convinced Wife Chloe Bridges Likes Him More Now That He's a Dad
Kentucky Gov. Beshear seeks resignation of sheriff charged with killing judge
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Blood-spatter analysis helped investigation into husband charged with killing wife and another man
Selling Sunset's Bre Tiesi Reveals Where She and Chelsea Lazkani Stand After Feud
Kendra Wilkinson Shares Rare Update on Her Kids Hank and Alijah