Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election -FutureFinance
TrendPulse|Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:22:58
DAKAR,TrendPulse Senegal (AP) — Mutinous soldiers in Gabon said Wednesday they were overturning the results of a presidential election that was to extend the Bongo family’s 55-year hold on power.
The central African country’s election committee announced that President Ali Bongo Ondimba, 64, had won the election with 64% of the vote early Wednesday morning. Within minutes, gunfire was heard in the center of the capital, Libreville.
A dozen uniformed soldiers appeared on state television later the same morning and announced that they had seized power.
“We reaffirm our commitment to respecting Gabon’s commitments to the national and international community,” said a spokesperson for the group, whose members were drawn from the gendarme, the republican guard and other factions of the security forces.
Bongo was seeking a third term in elections this weekend. He served two terms since coming to power in 2009 after the death of his father, Omar Bongo, who ruled the country for 41 years. Another group of mutinous soldiers attempted a coup in January 2019, while Bongo was in Morocco recovering from a stroke, but they were quickly overpowered.
In the election, Bongo faced an opposition coalition led by economics professor and former education minister Albert Ondo Ossa, whose surprise nomination came a week before the vote.
There were concerns about post-election violence, due to deep-seated grievances among the population of some 2.5 million. Nearly 40% of Gabonese ages 15-24 were out of work in 2020, according to the World Bank.
After last week’s vote, the Central African nation’s Communications Minister, Rodrigue Mboumba Bissawou, said on state television that there would be a nightly curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. He said internet access was being restricted indefinitely as there had been calls for violence and efforts to spread disinformation.
Every vote held in Gabon since the country’s return to a multi-party system in 1990 has ended in violence. Clashes between government forces and protesters following the 2016 election killed four people, according to official figures. The opposition said the death toll was far higher.
Fearing violence, many people in the capital went to visit family in other parts of the country before the election or left Gabon altogether. Others stockpiled food or bolstered security in their homes.
___
Associated Press reporters Cara Anna in Nairobi Kenya and Jamey Keaton in Geneva Switzerland contributed.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- 'The Penguin' spoilers! Colin Farrell spills on that 'dark' finale episode
- Maine dams face an uncertain future
- Barbora Krejcikova calls out 'unprofessional' remarks about her appearance
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Pete Rose fans say final goodbye at 14-hour visitation in Cincinnati
- Unexpected pairing: New documentary tells a heartwarming story between Vietnam enemies
- Trump announces Tom Homan, former director of immigration enforcement, will serve as ‘border czar’
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Jordan Chiles Reveals She Still Has Bronze Medal in Emotional Update After 2024 Olympics Controversy
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- One person is dead after a shooting at Tuskegee University
- These Michael Kors’ Designer Handbags Are All Under $150 With an Extra 22% off for Singles’ Day
- Pistons' Ausar Thompson cleared to play after missing 8 months with blood clot
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- 'He's driving the bus': Jim Harbaugh effect paying dividends for Justin Herbert, Chargers
- Kennesaw State football coach Brian Bohannon steps down after 10 seasons amid first year in FBS
- Bradley Cooper and Gigi Hadid Enjoy a Broadway Date Night and All that Jazz
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
FSU football fires offensive, defensive coordinators, wide receivers coach
Jerry Jones lashes out at question about sun's glare at AT&T Stadium after Cowboys' loss
Lane Kiffin puts heat on CFP bracket after Ole Miss pounds Georgia. So, who's left out?
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Brush fire erupts in Brooklyn's iconic Prospect Park amid prolonged drought
Don't Miss This Sweet Moment Between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Dads at the Kansas City Chiefs Game
One person is dead after a shooting at Tuskegee University