Current:Home > InvestNetflix confirms 'Happy Gilmore 2' with Adam Sandler: What we know -FutureFinance
Netflix confirms 'Happy Gilmore 2' with Adam Sandler: What we know
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 00:54:52
It's official: "Happy Gilmore" is returning for another round.
Netflix has confirmed that a sequel to Adam Sandler's 1996 golf comedy "Happy Gilmore" is on the way. "Happy Gilmore is back!" a post on Netflix's X account said. "Adam Sandler will reprise his iconic role in a brand new movie coming to Netflix."
The announcement makes the movie official two months after Christopher McDonald, who played Happy's nemesis Shooter McGavin in the original film, revealed a follow-up was in development.
"Here's a quick intel," McDonald said in an interview on 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland in March. "I saw Adam about two weeks ago and he says to me 'McDonald. You're going to love this.' I said 'What?' And he says 'How about that?' and he shows me a first draft of Happy Gilmore 2."
Adam Sandlerconfirms 'Happy Gilmore' sequel is in the works: 'We have a million ideas'
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Sandler subsequently appeared on the "Dan Patrick Show" in April and confirmed he told McDonald that "we're working on some stuff" for "Happy Gilmore 2" but had asked him to keep it a secret.
"He texted me after the fact, 'By the way, that thing you told me not to talk about, I talked about,'" Sandler joked.
Here's what we know so far about the "Happy Gilmore" sequel.
When will 'Happy Gilmore 2' be released?
No release date for "Happy Gilmore 2" has been announced.
However, Sandler's previous comments suggest the film was relatively early in development, and the script had not yet been completed as of April. He said on the "Dan Patrick Show" that he would be working on the screenplay with Tim Herlihy, his co-writer on the original film.
'Happy Gilmore 2'is in the works, says Shooter McGavin actor, because 'fans demand it'
"I'm shooting this movie now, and then when I get home in a little while, I call up Herlihy, we get in a room and jam and jam and jam," Sandler said in April. "We've been jamming and writing. We have a million ideas already. We've just got to make it a movie and make sure we're excited about people enjoying it."
Herlihy confirmed his involvement in the project on X Wednesday, joking that he can "finally stop lying to my parents!"
Who will star in 'Happy Gilmore 2'?
No stars for the sequel other than Sandler have been announced.
But while speaking on the "Dan Patrick Show," Sandler said he would "love" to get Drew Carey in the movie after his "Price is Right" predecessor, Bob Barker, appeared in the original. Barker died in 2023. Carl Weathers and Joe Flaherty, who were in the first movie, also both died this year.
"When we were writing stuff, Bob (Barker) was alive," Sandler said. "When we were writing stuff, Carl Weathers was alive. When we were writing stuff, Joe Flaherty was alive. It sucks. We love those guys. They're such a big part of the movie and just great people. But we're going to get them involved. Somehow, they'll be involved."
Sandler also said in the interview that Dan Patrick would "definitely" appear in "Happy Gilmore 2" as himself.
How to watch 'Happy Gilmore'
The original "Happy Gilmore" is currently available to stream on Netflix.
Contributing: Anthony Robledo
veryGood! (9597)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Wisconsin Republicans set to pass bill banning abortions after 14 weeks of pregnancy
- How to easily find the perfect pair of glasses, sunglasses online using virtual try-on
- Eva Mendes Defends Ryan Gosling From Barbie Hate After Oscar Nomination
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- When does 'Vanderpump Rules' start? Season 11 premiere date, time, cast, trailer
- His spacecraft sprung a leak. Then this NASA astronaut accidentally broke a record
- Remaining landslide victims found in China, bringing death toll to 44
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 'Griselda' cast, release date, where to watch Sofía Vergara star as Griselda Blanco in new series
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Ice Spice and everything nice: How the Grammys best new artist nominee broke the mold
- Billy Idol talks upcoming pre-Super Bowl show, recent Hoover Dam performance, working on a new album
- Seattle will pay $10 million to protesters who said police used excessive force during 2020 protests
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Robert De Niro Gets Emotional Over Becoming a Dad Again to 9-Month-Old Baby Gia
- The Olympic Winter Games began a century ago. See photos of the 'revolutionary' 1924 event
- South Korean police say a lawmaker has been injured in an attack with a rock-like object
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Alaska charter company pays $900k after guide caused wildfire by not properly extinguishing campfire
Eva Mendes Defends Ryan Gosling From Barbie Hate After Oscar Nomination
Coco Jones on the road from Disney Channel to Grammys best new artist nod: 'Never give up'
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Robitussin cough syrup sold nationwide recalled due to contamination
iOS 17.3 release: Apple update includes added theft protection, other features
American founder of Haitian orphanage to appear in court on sexual abuse charges