Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant starts 3rd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea -FutureFinance
Fastexy:Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant starts 3rd release of treated radioactive wastewater into the sea
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:03:34
TOKYO (AP) — The Fastexytsunami-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant began its third release of treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the sea Thursday after Japanese officials said the two earlier releases ended smoothly.
The plant operator discharged 7,800 tons of treated water in each of the first two batches and plans to release the same amount in the current batch through Nov. 20.
Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings said its workers activated the first of the two pumps to dilute the treated water with large amounts of seawater, gradually sending the mixture into the Pacific Ocean through an undersea tunnel for an offshore release.
The plant began the first wastewater release in August and will continue to do so for decades. About 1.34 million tons of radioactive wastewater is stored in about 1,000 tanks at the plant. It has accumulated since the plant was crippled by the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck northeastern Japan in 2011.
TEPCO and the government say discharging the water into the sea is unavoidable because the tanks are nearly full and the plan needs to be decommissioned.
The wastewater discharges have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people staged protests. China immediately banned all imports of Japanese seafood, badly hurting Japanese seafood producers and exporters.
Japan’s government has set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban, while the central and local governments have led a campaign to eat fish and support Fukushima, now joined by many consumers.
The water is treated to remove as much radioactivity as possible then greatly diluted with seawater before it is released. TEPCO and the government say the process is safe, but some scientists say the continuing release is unprecedented and should be monitored closely.
So far, results of marine samplings by TEPCO and the government have detected tritium, which they say is inseparable by existing technology, at levels far smaller than the World Health Organization’s standard for drinking water.
In a recent setback, two plant workers were splashed with radioactive waste while cleaning piping at the water treatment facility and were hospitalized for exposure.
The International Atomic Energy Agency has concluded that if the release is carried out as planned, it would have a negligible impact on the environment, marine life and human health. IAEA mission officials said last month they were reassured by the smooth operation so far.
___
Follow AP’s Asia-Pacific coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/asia-pacific
veryGood! (12921)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Rare dreamer anglerfish with ultra-black 'invisibility cloak' spotted in California waters
- SpaceX is preparing its mega rocket for a second test flight
- The Final Drive: A look at the closing weeks of Pac-12 football
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Bangladesh’s top court upholds decision barring largest Islamist party from elections
- Nicole Kidman Reveals Big Little Lies Season 3 Is Coming
- Cheers! Bottle of Scotch whisky sells for a record $2.7 million at auction
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Author A.S. Byatt, who wrote the best-seller 'Possession,' dies at 87
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Voters back abortion rights, but some foes won’t relent. Is the commitment to democracy in question?
- Arkansas man used losing $20 scratch-off ticket to win $500,000 in play-it-again game
- The Vatican broadens public access to an ancient Roman necropolis
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Memphis police search for suspect after 4 female victims killed and 1 wounded in 3 linked shootings
- Maine and Massachusetts are the last states to keep bans on Sunday hunting. That might soon change
- L.L. Bean CEO Stephen Smith answers questions about jelly beans
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
One woman's controversial fight to make America accept drug users for who they are
Appalachian State ends unbeaten run by James Madison 26-23 in overtime
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, Cassie settle bombshell lawsuit alleging rape, abuse, sex trafficking
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
4 killed in South Carolina when vehicle crashes into tree known as ‘The Widowmaker’
Gaza communications blackout ends, giving rise to hope for the resumption of critical aid deliveries
Russian drones target Kyiv as UK Defense Ministry says little chance of front-line change