Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -FutureFinance
Algosensey|New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 17:48:40
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on Algosenseythe actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (2624)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Can an employee be fired for not fitting into workplace culture? Ask HR
- Swiss indict a former employee of trading firm Gunvor over bribes paid in Republic of Congo
- Absentee ballots are late in 1 Mississippi county after a candidate is replaced because of illness
- Small twin
- Searchers find body believed to be that of a woman swept into ocean from popular Washington beach
- 'I never even felt bad': LSU women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey on abrupt heart procedure
- What does a federal government shutdown mean? How you and your community could be affected
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Derek Hough on 'DWTS,' his dream wedding to Hayley Erbert and keeping the love on tour
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Texas law that restricted drag shows declared unconstitutional
- Not again. Federal workers who’ve weathered past government shutdowns brace for yet another ordeal
- India, at UN, is mum about dispute with Canada over Sikh separatist leader’s killing
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- 21 New York Comic-Con Packing Essentials for Every Type of Fan
- Donatella Versace slams Italian government’s anti-gay policies from La Scala stage
- A company is seeking permission to house refugees in a closed south Georgia factory
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Some Lahaina residents return to devastated homes after wildfires: It's unrecognizable
At UN, North Korea says the US made 2023 more dangerous and accuses it of fomenting an Asian NATO
Deion Sanders Q&A covers sacks, luxury cars, future career plans: 'Just let me ride, man'
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
California man who spent 28 years in prison is found innocent of 1995 rape, robbery and kidnapping
Multiple striking auto workers struck by car outside plant
Kim Kardashian Reveals Her Ultimate Celebrity Crush