Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Guantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks -FutureFinance
TradeEdge Exchange:Guantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 17:30:41
WASHINGTON (AP) — A military panel at Guantanamo Bay,TradeEdge Exchange Cuba recommended 23 years in detention Friday for two Malaysian men in connection with deadly 2002 bombings in Bali, a spokesman for the military commission said.
The recommendation, following guilty pleas earlier this month under plea bargains for longtime Guantanamo detainees Mohammed Farik Bin Amin and Mohammed Nazir Bin Lep, marks comparatively rare convictions in the two decades of proceedings by the U.S. military commission at Guantanamo.
Guantanamo military commission spokesman Ronald Flesvig confirmed the sentencing recommendations.
The extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah killed 202 Indonesians, foreign tourists and others in two nearly simultaneous bombings at nightspots on the resort island of Bali.
The two defendants denied any role or advance knowledge of the attacks but under the plea bargains admitted they had over the years conspired with the network of militants responsible. The sentence recommendation still requires approval by the senior military authority over Guantanamo.
The two are among a total of 780 detainees brought to military detention at Guantanamo under the George W. Bush’s administration’s “war on terror” following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S. There have been only a handful of convictions over the years — eight, according to one advocacy group, Reprieve.
Defendants in some of the biggest attacks, including 9/11, remain in pretrial hearings. Prosecutors are seeking negotiated agreements to close that case and some others.
The prosecutions have been plagued by logistical difficulties, frequent turnover of judges and others, and legal questions surrounding the torture of detainees during CIA custody in the first years of their detention.
The military’s head of defense for the Guantanamo proceedings blamed the Bush administration’s early handling of the detainees — which included holding at secret “black sites” and torture in CIA custody — for the more than 20-year delay in the trial.
The slow pace “was extremely distressing and frustrated the desire of everyone for accountability and justice,” Brig. Gen. Jackie Thompson said in a statement.
Thirty detainees remain at Guantanamo. Sixteen of them have been cleared and are eligible for transfer out if a stable country agrees to take them. “The time for repatriating or transferring the cleared men is now,” Thompson said. He said the same for three others held at Guantanamo but never charged.
As part of their plea bargains, the two Malaysian men have agreed to provide testimony against a third Guantanamo detainee, an Indonesian man known as Hambali, in the Bali bombings.
Relatives of some of those killed in the Bali bombings testified Wednesday in a hearing in advance of sentencing, with the two accused in the courtroom and listening attentively.
“The reach of this atrocity knew no bounds, and has affected very many people,” testified Matthew Arnold of Birmingham, England, who lost his brother in the attacks.
A panel of five military officers delivered the recommendation after listening to the sentencing testimony.
The U.S. has held the two men at Guantanamo since 2006. Guantanamo authorities said the sentencing range before the military panel did not include an option to waive time already served.
Local news media in Malaysia have said that authorities there as of last year were exploring bringing the two back to their home country.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- A teen’s murder, mold in the walls: Unfulfilled promises haunt public housing
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Oklahoma’s state primary runoff elections
- Escaped Mississippi inmate in custody after hourslong standoff at Chicago restaurant
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- US home sales ended a 4-month slide in July amid easing mortgage rates, more homes on the market
- MIT class of 2028 to have fewer Black, Latino students after affirmative action ruling
- 'It's going to be different': Raheem Morris carries lessons into fresh chance with Falcons
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Chris Olsen, nude photos and when gay men tear each other down
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Man charged in 2017 double homicide found dead at Virginia jail
- 3-month-old baby is fatally mauled by dogs in attic while parents smoked pot, police say
- MIT class of 2028 to have fewer Black, Latino students after affirmative action ruling
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- 'It's going to be different': Raheem Morris carries lessons into fresh chance with Falcons
- Say Goodbye to Your Flaky Scalp With Dandruff Solutions & Treatments
- Sabrina Carpenter Walks in on Jenna Ortega Showering in “Taste” Teaser
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Chris Olsen, nude photos and when gay men tear each other down
Why Christina Applegate Is Giving a “Disclaimer” to Friends Amid Multiple Sclerosis Battle
What causes warts on hands? Here's what types of HPV can trigger this contagious skin condition.
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Democratic convention ends Thursday with the party’s new standard bearer, Kamala Harris
French actor Gerard Depardieu should face trial over rape allegations, prosecutors say
Your college student may be paying thousands in fees for a service they don't need