Current:Home > MyJudge in a bribery case against Honolulu’s former top prosecutor is suddenly recusing himself -FutureFinance
Judge in a bribery case against Honolulu’s former top prosecutor is suddenly recusing himself
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:06:33
HONOLULU (AP) — A month before the start of a bribery trial against Honolulu’s former top prosecutor, the judge who has been presiding over the case since 2022 is unexpectedly recusing himself.
U.S. District Judge J. Michael Seabright issued an order Wednesday morning rescuing himself in the case against former Honolulu Prosecuting Attorney Keith Kaneshiro.
Jury selection was scheduled to begin next month in one of Hawaii’s most anticipated criminal trials.
Seabright has presided over the case since a U.S. grand jury indicted Kaneshiro and four others in 2022, alleging that employees of an engineering and architectural firm bribed the prosecutor with campaign donations in exchange for Kaneshiro’s prosecution of a former company employee.
Seabright’s order doesn’t explain his recusal.
All five face have pleaded not guilty to count of conspiracy to defraud the City and County of Honolulu and one count of conspiracy to intimidate the former employee to prevent her from exercising her rights by filing a civil rights lawsuit against the firm. The first count carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison, the second count 10 years.
The indictment alleges that Mitsunaga & Associates employees, along with an attorney listed as an unindicted co-conspirator, contributed more than $45,000 to Kaneshiro’s re-election campaigns between October 2012 and October 2016.
They allegedly got family members, business partners, employees and contractors to donate as well to get around individual campaign contribution limits.
The former employee targeted with prosecution had been a project architect at Mitsunaga & Associates for 15 years when she was fired without explanation on the same day she expressed disagreement with claims the CEO made against her, court documents said.
Kaneshiro’s office prosecuted the architect, whom court documents identify only as L.J.M., but a judge dismissed the case in 2017 for lack of probable cause.
Kaneshiro took a leave of absence as Honolulu’s prosecuting attorney in March 2019 after he became a target of the federal investigation. He didn’t run for re-election in 2020, and his term expired in January 2021.
Retired Federal Defender Alexander Silvert said a judge stepping away from a case like this is highly unusual, especially given how long Seabright has been on it.
“This is a high publicity case for Hawaii, given that it was city and county’s lead prosecutor,” Silvert said.
The unexpected move could mean there was a conflict of interest that Seabright recently learned about or there is a personal issue, Seabright said.
There was no immediate response to an email from The Associated Press sent to the court clerk and Seabright’s courtroom manager asking if the judge could comment on his recusal.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- How to quit vaping: What experts want you to know
- Top Florida GOP fundraiser launches GoFundMe for Trump rally shooting victims
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, July 14, 2024
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Nate Diaz suing co-promoter of Jorge Masvidal fight for $9 million
- Kate Middleton and Prince William Share Heartwarming Photo of Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis
- French sports minister takes a dip in the Seine weeks before the 2024 Paris Olympics begin
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Ex-classmate of Trump rally shooter describes him as normal boy, rejected from high school rifle team
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- GOP convention protests are on despite shooting at Trump rally
- Powerball winning numbers for July 13 drawing: Jackpot rises to $64 million
- Nigeria school collapse kills at least 22 students as they take exams
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Schools receive third — and potentially final — round of federal funding for homeless students
- Aetna set to run North Carolina worker health care as Blue Cross will not appeal judge’s ruling
- Horoscopes Today, July 14, 2024
Recommendation
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
At least 7 dead after separate shootings in Birmingham, Alabama, authorities say
How many points did Caitlin Clark score? Indiana Fever rally to beat Minnesota Lynx
Argentina wins record 16th Copa America title, beats Colombia 1-0 after Messi gets hurt
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Morgan Wallen announces homecoming Knoxville concert. Here's how to get tickets
Second phase of NRA civil trial over nonprofit’s spending set to open in NYC
New California law bans rules requiring schools to notify parents of child’s pronoun change