Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Residents and fishermen file a lawsuit demanding a halt to the release of Fukushima wastewater -FutureFinance
Johnathan Walker:Residents and fishermen file a lawsuit demanding a halt to the release of Fukushima wastewater
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:57:59
TOKYO (AP) — Fishermen and Johnathan Walkerresidents of Fukushima and five other prefectures along Japan’s northeastern coast filed a lawsuit Friday demanding a halt to the ongoing release of treated radioactive wastewater from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant into the sea.
In the lawsuit filed with Fukushima District Court, the 151 plaintiffs, two-thirds from Fukushima and the rest from Tokyo and four other prefectures, say the discharge damages the livelihoods of the fishing community and violates residents’ right to live peacefully, their lawyers said.
The release of the treated and diluted wastewater into the ocean, which began Aug. 24 and is expected to continue for several decades, is strongly opposed by fisheries groups that worry it will hurt the image of their catch even if it’s safe.
Three reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant melted after a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami in 2011 destroyed its cooling systems. The plant continues to produce highly radioactive water which is collected, treated and stored in about 1,000 tanks that cover much of the plant complex.
The government and the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, say the tanks need to be removed to allow the plant’s decommissioning.
The plaintiffs are demanding the revocation of safety permits granted by the Nuclear Regulation Authority for the wastewater’s release and a halt to the discharge, lawyer Kenjiro Kitamura said.
The government and TEPCO say the treated water meets legally releasable levels and is further diluted by hundreds of times with seawater before being released into the sea. The International Atomic Energy Agency, which reviewed the release plan at Japan’s request, concluded that the release’s impact on the environment, marine life and humans will be negligible.
“The intentional release to the sea is an intentional harmful act that adds to the (nuclear plant) accident,” said another lawyer, Hiroyuki Kawai. He said the ocean is a public resource and it is unethical for a company to discharge wastewater into it.
TEPCO said it could not comment until it receives a copy of the lawsuit.
China banned all imports of Japanese seafood in response to the release, while Hong Kong and Macau suspended imports from 10 prefectures including Fukushima. Groups in South Korea have also condemned the discharge.
China is the biggest importer of Japanese seafood, and its ban has hit the industry hard.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s Cabinet on Tuesday approved a 20.7 billion yen ($141 million) emergency fund to help exporters hurt by the Chinese ban. The fund is in addition to 80 billion yen ($547 million) that the government previously allocated to support fisheries and seafood processing and combat reputational damage to Japanese products.
Kishida said while attending a summit of Southeast Asian leaders in Indonesia that China’s ban contrasts sharply with a broad understanding of the release shown by many other countries.
veryGood! (5576)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Prince Harry and Meghan to visit Nigeria to talk Invictus Games
- Shooting after prom kills 1 and injures 3 in south Georgia town
- Politicians and dog experts vilify South Dakota governor after she writes about killing her dog
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Democrats start out ahead in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin 2024 Senate races — CBS News Battleground Tracker poll
- Skipping updates on your phone? Which apps are listening? Check out these tech tips
- Candace Parker was more than a great talent. She was a hero to a generation of Black girls.
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Trump hush money trial continues as prosecution calls Michael Cohen's banker | The Excerpt
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Blue Ivy joins her mom Beyoncé in Disney's new 'Lion King' prequel titled 'Mufasa'
- Patrick Mahomes gave Logan Paul his Chiefs Super Bowl rings so he could attack Jey Uso
- A Yellowstone trip that ended with a man being arrested for kicking a bison
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Ex-NSA staffer gets 21 years for trying to sell defense information to 'friends' in Russia
- Las Vegas Raiders signing ex-Dallas Cowboys WR Michael Gallup
- Supreme Court rejects Peter Navarro's latest bid for release from prison during appeal
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Jason Kelce Scores New Gig After NFL Retirement
Book excerpt: Judi Dench's love letter to Shakespeare
Family of Ralph Yarl files lawsuit against Andrew Lester, homeowners association after 2023 shooting
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Growing wildfire risk leaves states grappling with how to keep property insurers from fleeing
Kate Middleton and Prince William Celebrate 13th Wedding Anniversary With Never-Before-Seen Photo
15 must-see summer movies, from 'Deadpool & Wolverine' and 'Furiosa' to 'Bad Boys 4'