Current:Home > NewsCommission investigating Lewiston mass shooting seeks to subpoena shooter’s military records -FutureFinance
Commission investigating Lewiston mass shooting seeks to subpoena shooter’s military records
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 17:06:45
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — An independent commission investigating the mass shooting that killed 18 people in Maine last month moved Monday to seek subpoena power so it can obtain the military service records of the shooter.
Democratic Gov. Janet Mills and Attorney General Aaron Frey have tasked the commission with performing a review of the events leading up to the Lewiston shootings and the response to it. Army reservist Robert Card, 40, killed 18 people in a bowling alley and a restaurant on Oct. 25 before dying of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The commission held its first meeting on Monday and members unanimously voted to request subpoena power from the Maine Legislature.
“We will be seeking military records, and those might not be accessible to us without subpoena power,” said Toby Dilworth, a former assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Maine and a commission member. “It’s essential that we have this subpoena power.”
The commission is chaired by Daniel Wathen, former chief justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. Other members include Debra Baeder, the former chief forensic psychologist for the state, and Paula Silsby, a former U.S. attorney for the District of Maine.
The panel is expected to investigate potential missed opportunities to prevent the shootings. Card was well known to law enforcement and fellow service members had raised flags about his behavior, mental health state and potential for violence before the shootings. Card spent two weeks in a psychiatric hospital in New York last summer after an altercation with other reserve members.
Mills and Frey swiftly released a statement that they supported the move to use subpoena power. Mills, who created the commission via executive order, has called on the commission to follow the facts of the case and keep them as transparent to the public as possible.
Mills and Frey said in their statement they would “immediately begin consulting with the Independent Commission and legislative leadership to prepare legislation granting the commission the power of subpoena, with the goal of having that legislation prepared for the Legislature’s consideration at the beginning of the next session.”
The commission will meet again on Dec. 14, Wathen said. He said his goal was for the commission to produce a written report within six months, which was a timeline he called “a very ambitious goal, but highly desirable for obvious reasons.”
The commission also took comments from the public on Monday. Rep. Suzanne Salisbury, a Westbrook Democrat, called on the commission to collaborate with law enforcement as it performs its review.
“I hope that law enforcement’s voice can be heard and used as the experts they are,” Salisbury said.
veryGood! (89336)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Colorado politics reporter’s expulsion from a Republican gathering causes uproar
- Beyoncé collaborators Shaboozey, Willie Jones highlight Black country music on 'Cowboy Carter'
- Maine’s governor and GOP lawmakers decry budget adjustment approved in weekend vote
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Woman claiming God told her to go on shooting spree because of solar eclipse shoots drivers on Florida interstate, police say
- Transgender Catholics say new Vatican document shows no understanding of their lives
- On National Beer Day 2024, the US is drinking more Modelo than Bud Light as NA brews rise
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- The trial of an Arizona border rancher charged with killing a migrant has reached the halfway point
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Powerball drawing delayed with $1.3 billion jackpot on the line
- Delta passengers get engaged mid-flight while seeing total solar eclipse from 30,000 feet
- Georgia prosecutor promises charges against driver who ran over 4-year-old girl after police decline
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Kourtney Kardashian Defends Her Postpartum Body Amid Pressure to Bounce Back
- Conservative hoaxers to pay up to $1.25M under agreement with New York over 2020 robocall scheme
- Brazil Supreme Court investigating Elon Musk over obstruction, disinformation on X
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Why Louis Tomlinson Is No Longer Concerned About Harry Styles Conspiracy Theories
Connecticut joins elite list of eight schools to repeat as men's national champions
Kourtney Kardashian Defends Her Postpartum Body Amid Pressure to Bounce Back
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Detroit-area landlord to pay $190K to settle claims of sexual harassment against women
Oklahoma judge orders Kansas City Chiefs superfan ‘ChiefsAholic’ to pay $10.8M to bank teller
Youngkin proposes ‘compromise’ path forward on state budget, calling for status quo on taxes