Current:Home > StocksWilliam Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died -FutureFinance
William Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 22:23:03
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — William L. Calley Jr., who as an Army lieutenant led the U.S. soldiers who killed hundreds of Vietnamese civilians in the My Lai massacre, the most notorious war crime in modern American military history, has died. He was 80.
Calley died on April 28 at a hospice center in Gainesville, Florida, The Washington Post reported Monday, citing his death certificate. The Florida Department of Health in Alachua County didn’t immediately respond to Associated Press requests for confirmation.
Calley had lived in obscurity in the decades since he was court-martialed and convicted in 1971, the only one of 25 men originally charged to be found guilty in the Vietnam War massacre.
On March 16, 1968, Calley led American soldiers of the Charlie Company on a mission to confront a crack outfit of their Vietcong enemies. Instead, over several hours, the soldiers killed 504 unresisting civilians, mostly women, children and elderly men, in My Lai and a neighboring community.
The men were angry: Two days earlier, a booby trap had killed a sergeant, blinded a GI and wounded several others while Charlie Company was on patrol.
Soldiers eventually testified to the U.S. Army investigating commission that the murders began soon after Calley led Charlie Company’s first platoon into My Lai that morning. Some were bayoneted to death. Families were herded into bomb shelters and killed with hand grenades. Other civilians slaughtered in a drainage ditch. Women and girls were gang-raped.
It wasn’t until more than a year later that news of the massacre became public. And while the My Lai massacre was the most notorious massacre in modern U.S. military history, it was not an aberration: Estimates of civilians killed during the U.S. ground war in Vietnam from 1965 to 1973 range from 1 million to 2 million.
The U.S. military’s own records, filed away for three decades, described 300 other cases of what could fairly be described as war crimes. My Lai stood out because of the shocking one-day death toll, stomach-churning photographs and the gruesome details exposed by a high-level U.S. Army inquiry.
Calley was convicted in 1971 for the murders of 22 people during the rampage. He was sentenced to life in prison but served only three days because President Richard Nixon ordered his sentence reduced. He served three years of house arrest.
After his release, Calley stayed in Columbus and settled into a job at a jewelry store owned by his father-in-law before moving to Atlanta, where he avoided publicity and routinely turned down journalists’ requests for interviews.
Calley broke his silence in 2009, at the urging of a friend, when he spoke to the Kiwanis Club in Columbus, Georgia, near Fort Benning, where he had been court-martialed.
“There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai,” Calley said, according to an account of the meeting reported by the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. “I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry.”
He said his mistake was following orders, which had been his defense when he was tried. His superior officer was acquitted.
William George Eckhardt, the chief prosecutor in the My Lai cases, said he was unaware of Calley ever apologizing before that appearance in 2009.
“It’s hard to apologize for murdering so many people,” said Eckhardt. “But at least there’s an acknowledgment of responsibility.”
veryGood! (5198)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Millions of additional salaried workers could get overtime pay under Biden proposal
- Fed’s preferred inflation gauge shows a modest rise in latest sign of slowing price increases
- Fergie shares rare photos of son with Josh Duhamel in birthday tribute: 'I love you Axl Jack'
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Fed’s preferred inflation gauge shows a modest rise in latest sign of slowing price increases
- Trump enters not guilty plea in Georgia election interference case
- Japan’s Sogo & Seibu department stores are being sold to a US fund as 900 workers go on strike
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Justin Jefferson selected top wide receiver by panel of AP Pro Football Writers
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- Bear cub with head stuck in plastic container rescued by park manager, shared on Instagram
- More than half of dog owners are suspicious of rabies and other vaccines, new study finds
- Vigilantes target traffic cameras as London's anti-air pollution zone extends to suburbs
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Political scientists confront real world politics dealing with hotel workers strike
- At 61, Meg Ryan is the lead in a new rom-com. That shouldn’t be such a rare thing.
- Spain has condemned inappropriate World Cup kiss. Can it now reckon with sexism in soccer?
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Howie Mandell Reacts to Criticism Over His Comment About Sofía Vergara's Relationship Status
Judge rejects key defense for former Trump adviser Peter Navarro as trial is set for Tuesday
Ohio governor reconvenes panel to redraw unconstitutional Statehouse maps
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Where did Idalia make landfall? What to know about Florida's Nature Coast and Big Bend
Bronny James attending classes, 'doing extremely well' in recovery from heart issue
Remains of Vermont World War II soldier to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery