Current:Home > ScamsMaine state official who removed Trump from ballot was targeted in swatting call at her home -FutureFinance
Maine state official who removed Trump from ballot was targeted in swatting call at her home
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 20:03:25
A fake emergency call to police resulted in officers responding Friday night to the home of Maine Secretary of State Shenna Bellows just a day after she removed former President Donald Trump from the state’s presidential primary ballot under the Constitution’s insurrection clause.
She becomes the latest elected politician to become a target of swatting, which involves making a prank phone call to emergency services with the intent that a large first responder presence, including SWAT teams, will show up at a residence.
Bellows was not home when the swatting call was made, and responding officers found nothing suspicious.
While no motive for the swatting attempt was released by the Maine Department of Public Safety, Bellows said she had no doubts it stemmed from her decision to remove Trump from the ballot.
The swatting attempt came after her home address was posted on social media by a conservative activist. “And it was posted in anger and with violent intent by those who have been extending threatening communications toward me, my family and my office,” she told The Associated Press in a phone call Saturday.
According to the Maine Department of Public Safety, a call was made to emergency services from an unknown man saying he had broken into a house in Manchester.
The address the man gave was Bellows’ home. Bellows and her husband were away for the holiday weekend. Maine State Police responded to what the public safety department said ultimately turned out to be a swatting call.
Police conducted an exterior sweep of the house and then checked inside at Bellows’ request. Nothing suspicious was found, and police continue to investigate.
“The Maine State Police is working with our law enforcement partners to provide special attention to any and all appropriate locations,” the public safety statement said.
Bellows said the intimidation factors won’t work. “Here’s what I’m not doing differently. I’m doing my job to uphold the Constitution, the rule of law.”
Other high-profile politicians who have been targets of swatting calls include U.S. Sen. Rick Scott of Florida, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu, Georgia U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost.
Bellows said she, her family and her office workers have been threatened since her decision to remove Trump from the ballot. At least one Republican lawmaker in Maine wants to pursue impeachment against her.
“Not only have there been threatening communications, but there have been dehumanizing fake images posted online and even fake text threads attributed to me,” said Bellows, who has worked in civil rights prior to becoming secretary of state.
“And my previous work taught me that dehumanizing people is the first step in creating an environment that leads to attacks and violence against that person,” she said. “It is extraordinarily dangerous for the rhetoric to have escalated to the point of dehumanizing me and threatening me, my loved ones and the people who work for me.”
She said the people of Maine have a strong tradition of being able to disagree on important issues without violence.
“I think it is extraordinarily important that everyone deescalate the rhetoric and remember the values that make our democratic republic and here in Maine, our state, so great,” she said.
The Trump campaign said it would appeal Bellows’ decision to Maine’s state courts, and Bellows suspended her ruling until that court system rules on the case.
The Colorado Supreme Court earlier this month removed Trump from that state’s ballot, a decision that also was stayed until the U.S. Supreme Court decides whether he would be barred under the insurrection clause, a Civil War-era provision which prohibits those who “engaged in insurrection” from holding office.
___
Thiessen reported from Anchorage, Alaska.
veryGood! (11)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Most Americans want legal pot. Here's why feds are taking so long to change old rules.
- Stephen Curry tops Sabrina Ionescu in 3-point shootout at All-Star weekend
- Rachel Brosnahan, Danai Gurira, Hoda and Jenna rock front row at Sergio Hudson NYFW show
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Jury awards $10 million to man who was wrongly convicted of murder
- Tiger Woods Withdraws From Genesis Invitational Golf Tournament Over Illness
- Kevin Harvick becomes full-time TV analyst, reveals he wants to be 'John Madden of NASCAR'
- Average rate on 30
- Stephen Curry tops Sabrina Ionescu in 3-point shootout at All-Star weekend
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- When does The Equalizer Season 4 start? Cast, premiere date, how to watch and more
- 'Wait Wait' for February 17, 2024: With Not My Job guest Sleater-Kinney
- Siesta Key's Madisson Hausburg Welcomes Baby 2 Years After Son's Death
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Women's NCAA tournament and Caitlin Clark will outshine the men in March
- Why Paris Hilton's World as a Mom of 2 Kids Is Simply the Sweetest
- Dakota Johnson's new 'Madame Web' movie is awful, but her Gucci premiere dress is perfection
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Here’s a look inside Donald Trump’s $355 million civil fraud verdict as an appeals fight looms
Prosecutor: Grand jury decides against charges in troopers’ shooting of 2 after pursuit, kidnapping
Michael Strahan's Daughter Isabella Shares Painful Update on Chemotherapy Amid Brain Cancer Battle
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Feds charge Minnesota man who they say trained with ISIS and threatened violence against New York
Millions of women are 'under-muscled'. These foods help build strength
Israeli troops enter Al Nasser Hospital, Gaza's biggest hospital still functioning, amid the war with Hamas