Current:Home > ScamsLionel Messi called up by Argentina for 2 matches during break in MLS Cup Playoffs -FutureFinance
Lionel Messi called up by Argentina for 2 matches during break in MLS Cup Playoffs
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 01:03:23
Lionel Messi is on Argentina's roster for a pair of 2026 World Cup qualifying matches later this month. Argentine coach Lionel Scaloni called up 28 players Tuesday for a FIFA international window that falls between the MLS Cup Playoffs first round and the conference finals.
Messi will lead Inter Miami for a must-win playoff game Saturday at 8 p.m. ET against visiting Atlanta United. The first-round series is tied 1-1 between top-seeded Miami and No. 9 Atlanta. The winner advances to the Eastern Conference semifinals, which begin Nov. 23.
Argentina's matches fall right in between: a trip to Paraguay at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 14 and a home match against Peru in Buenos Aires at 7 p.m. Nov. 19.
The latter could be the second time Messi plays in his home country this year, following his hat-trick performance with two assists in a 6-0 rout of Bolivia Oct. 15.
The quick turnaround from the second Argentina match could affect Messi’s practice and playing time for the MLS playoffs. Inter Miami coach Tata Martino will address reporters Friday.
The winner of the Inter Miami-Atlanta series will face the winner from No. 4 Orlando City and No. 5 Charlotte, which will also play a Game 3 to decide their series on Saturday at 6 p.m. ET.
Following the conference semifinals on Nov. 23-24, the conference finals will be played Nov. 30-Dec. 1. The MLS Cup final is Dec. 7.
Messi and Inter Miami are considered the favorites to win MLS Cup and cap a historic campaign, during which they won the Supporters’ Shield and set the league points record (74) for the best regular-season record.
Messi has been held scoreless with just one assist in the first two MLS playoff games of his career. Messi’s assist helped Inter Miami beat Atlanta 2-1 in Game 1, while Atlanta won the second match 2-1.
While Messi is helping Argentina qualify for the next World Cup, he remains non-committal about playing in the tournament for the sixth time in his career. Messi will be 39 when the United States, Canada and Mexico jointly host the World Cup.
“I don't know. They ask me a lot, especially in Argentina,” Messi said during a recent interview with 433, a soccer content creation company. “I hope to finish this year well, and start the year having a good preseason, which I didn't have last year due to all the trips we had.
“From there, I will see how I am doing and feeling. We are close, but at the same time it's a lot of time and anything can happen in football. I don't think [about it. I’m] simply living the day to day without thinking beyond.”
veryGood! (6812)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- 2024 Paris Olympics: U.S. Track & Field Trials live results, schedule
- Prince William Takes Kids to Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Concert for His Birthday
- Copa America 2024 live: Updates, score as Canada keeps Messi, Argentina scoreless, 0-0
- Small twin
- Gun injuries in 2023 still at higher rates than before pandemic across most states, CDC reports
- Canada says it’s ‘deeply disturbed’ after Bombito gets targeted on social media with racist messages
- New York county reaches $1.75 million settlement with family of man fatally shot by police in 2011
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Karen Derrico Shares Family Update Amid Divorce From Deon Derrico
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- American woman killed by elephant in Zambia, the second such attack this year
- Amtrak resumes service after disruptions along Northeast corridor amid severe heat wave
- New York prosecutors ask judge to keep Trump gag order in hush money case in place
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- ‘Hawaii Five-0’ fan favorite and former UFC fighter Taylor Wily dies at 56
- She asked 50 strangers to figure out how she should spend her $27 million inheritance. Here's what they came up with.
- Traveling exhibit details life of Andrew Young, diplomat, civil rights icon
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Regan Smith crushes 200 fly at Olympic trials. 17-year-old set to join her on team
Nearly 600,000 portable chargers sold at Costco recalled for overheating, fire concerns
Amtrak service into and out of New York City is disrupted for a second day
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Photos show Kim Jong Un and Putin sharing gifts – including a limo and hunting dogs
Move Over, Jorts: Boxer Shorts Dominate Summer 2024 — Our Top 14 Picks for Effortless Cool-Girl Style
Trump to campaign in Virginia after first presidential debate