Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Justice Department blasts GOP effort to hold Attorney General Garland in contempt over Biden audio -FutureFinance
Oliver James Montgomery-Justice Department blasts GOP effort to hold Attorney General Garland in contempt over Biden audio
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 21:15:31
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Oliver James MontgomeryJustice Department on Monday blasted Republicans’ effort to hold Attorney General Merrick Garland in contempt over his refusal to turn over unredacted materials related to the special counsel probe into President Joe Biden’s handling of classified documents.
In a letter obtained by The Associated Press, the Justice Department rejected the demand from House Republicans that the agency turn over the full audio of Special Counsel Robert Hur’s hourslong interviews with Biden and his ghostwriter. Republicans had given the Justice Department until Monday to provide the audio.
Assistant Attorney General Carlos Uriarte, the Justice Department’s head of congressional affairs, said in the letter to Reps. James Comer and Jim Jordan that despite GOP claims to the contrary, the department has complied with each of the four elements of subpoena that House Republicans sent in February.
“The Committees’ reaction is difficult to explain in terms of any lack of information or frustration of any informational or investigative imperative, given the Department’s actual conduct,” Uriarte wrote. “We are therefore concerned that the Committees are disappointed not because you didn’t receive information, but because you did.”
He added, “We urge the Committees to avoid conflict rather than seek it.”
The pushback from department and the seeming unwillingness to provide the audio could trigger a legal battle between the White House and the GOP chairmen leading the contempt effort on Capitol Hill, potentially setting up a scenario where Biden would have to exert executive privilege to halt the release of the audio recording to Congress.
The maneuvering could also delay the release of any audio until after the November election.
The letter is just the latest flashpoint between Republicans investigating Biden and the Justice Department tasked with overseeing a myriad of politically fraught federal probes, including one into the president’s son, Hunter Biden.
Hur spent a year investigating the improper retention of classified documents by Biden, from his time as a senator and as vice president. The result was a 345-page report that questioned Biden’s age and mental competence but recommended no criminal charges for the 81-year-old president, finding insufficient evidence to make a case stand up in court.
Last month, Hur stood by the assessment made in his report in testimony before the House Judiciary Committee, where he was grilled for more than four hours by both Democratic and Republican lawmakers.
“What I wrote is what I believe the evidence shows, and what I expect jurors would perceive and believe,” Hur told lawmakers. “I did not sanitize my explanation. Nor did I disparage the president unfairly.”
veryGood! (3149)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- The Nobel Peace Prize is to be announced in Oslo. The laureate is picked from more than 350 nominees
- New Mexico AG charges police officer in fatal shooting of Black man at gas station
- Milton from 'Love is Blind' says Uche's claims about Lydia 'had no weight on my relationship'
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- North Korea provides Russia artillery for the Ukraine war as U.S. hands Kyiv ammunition seized from Iran
- 'This one's for him': QB Justin Fields dedicates Bears' win to franchise icon Dick Butkus
- Prosecutor won’t seek charges against troopers in killing of ‘Cop City’ activist near Atlanta
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- An aid group says artillery fire killed 11 and injured 90 in a Sudanese city
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Dancing With the Stars' Mark Ballas and Wife BC Jean Share Miscarriage Story in Moving Song
- A Hong Kong man gets 4 months in prison for importing children’s books deemed to be seditious
- Changes coming after Arlington National Cemetery suspends use of horses due to health concerns
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- 'Brooklyn Crime Novel' explores relationships among the borough's cultures and races
- Chris Hemsworth Shares Lifestyle Changes After Learning of Increased Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease
- London's White Cube shows 'fresh and new' art at first New York gallery
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
'The Exorcist: Believer' is possessed by the familiar
Appeals panel won’t revive lawsuit against Tennessee ban on giving out mail voting form
Taylor Swift's Eras Tour film passes $100 million in worldwide presales
Trump's 'stop
Morocco begins providing cash to families whose homes were destroyed by earthquake
3 bears are captured after sneaking into a tatami factory as northern Japan faces a growing problem
Hand grenade fragments were found in the bodies of victims in Prigozhin’s plane crash, Putin claims