Current:Home > InvestMaine court hears arguments on removing time limits on child sex abuse lawsuits -FutureFinance
Maine court hears arguments on removing time limits on child sex abuse lawsuits
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 07:49:00
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — A lawyer for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland told supreme court justices Thursday that Maine’s elimination of time limits on child sex abuse lawsuits is unconstitutional and imposes new liabilities, a reference to costly lawsuits that have driven some dioceses into bankruptcy.
But an attorney whose law firm represents about 100 plaintiffs characterized the law as the “will of the people” versus the diocese’s expectation of brushing past conduct under a rug.
“There’s never been a right to enabling child sex abuse. The diocese wants you to create a vested right in getting away with it,” attorney Michael Bigos told the court.
The Supreme Judicial Court heard highly technical arguments at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor during a packed hearing that underscored the stakes of its ultimate decision.
Roman Catholic dioceses in Baltimore; Buffalo, New York; and elsewhere have filed for bankruptcy under the weight of lawsuits and settlements stemming from the clergy abuse scandal.
In Maine, dozens of new lawsuits have been filed since the state lifted the statute of limitations but those lawsuits are on hold pending the legal challenge of the law’s constitutionality.
Maine removed its time limits in 2000 to sue over childhood sexual abuse, but not retroactively, leaving survivors without recourse for older cases dating back decades.
Changes in 2021 allowed previously expired civil claims, opening the door to dozens of abuse survivors to come forward to sue. Bigos’ law firm, Berman & Simmons, represents about 100 survivors, many of whom already sued. Of those, 75 of the cases involve Roman Catholic entities, he said.
The Portland diocese contends survivors had ample time to sue and that it’s unconstitutional to open the door to new litigation, which it previously said could lead to requests for damages of “tens of millions of dollars.”
Gerald Petruccelli, an attorney for the Diocese of Portland, said Thursday that previous case law was laid forth in a 1981 decision concluded “the Legislature has no constitutional authority to enact legislation if its implementation impairs vested rights, or imposes liabilities that would result from conduct predating the legislation.”
At one point, Supreme Court Justice Andrew Mead suggested the legal exercise was “a little metaphysical” — getting some chuckles from spectators — before drawing an analogy of a “dormant cause of action” awaiting to be awakened by a change in law, generating the image of something in a mad scientist’s laboratory.
“It sounds like something from a horror movie, but it had been lying dormant for these years. And the Legislature with the turn of a statute can bring it back to life,” he said.
A state judge already upheld the the elimination of statute of limitations for child sexual abuse — but the judge halted lawsuits to allow the decision to be appealed.
The diocese has argued that the elimination of the time limit takes away previously established rights, called “vested rights.”
But in February, Justice Thomas McKeon ruled that vested rights generally apply to property rights, not statutes of limitations, and that the law can apply to institutions as well as individuals. But the judge also wrote that it was a “close case” and that attorneys for the diocese had raised “serious” constitutional concerns.
veryGood! (831)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Encore: A new hard hat could help protect workers from on-the-job brain injuries
- The first abortion ban passed after Roe takes effect Thursday in Indiana
- Let's Bow Down to Princess Charlotte and Kate Middleton's Twinning Moment at King Charles' Coronation
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Jim Hines, first sprinter to run 100 meters in under 10 seconds, dies at 76
- Legal fights and loopholes could blunt Medicare's new power to control drug prices
- Florida arranged migrant flights to California, where officials are considering legal action
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Pregnant Bachelor Nation Star Becca Kufrin Reveals Sex of First Baby With Fiancé Thomas Jacobs
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- MTV Movie & TV Awards 2023 Live Show Canceled After Drew Barrymore Exit
- Earthquakes at Wastewater Injection Site Give Oklahomans Jolt into New Year
- Debate 2020: The Candidates’ Climate Positions & What They’ve Actually Done
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Trump the Environmentalist?
- What are your chances of catching monkeypox?
- Joe Biden says the COVID-19 pandemic is over. This is what the data tells us
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
How Muggy Is It? Check The Dew Point!
FDA seems poised to approve a new drug for ALS, but does it work?
Virginia graduation shooting that killed teen, stepdad fueled by ongoing dispute, police say
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Taylor Swift Reveals Release Date for Speak Now (Taylor's Version) at The Eras Tour
Today’s Climate: June 10, 2010
Trump Administration Deserts Science Advisory Boards Across Agencies