Current:Home > StocksVideo shows Target store sliding down hillside in West Virginia as store is forced to close -FutureFinance
Video shows Target store sliding down hillside in West Virginia as store is forced to close
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:04:07
A Target store in Barboursville, West Virginia has shut down until further notice after slipping hillside caused it to partially collapse.
"The safety of our team, guests, and neighbors is our top priority, and we are continuing to work on our Barboursville store to address the recent land movement," Target said in a statement over email to USA TODAY Friday.
The company said that they will start working towards "removing the damaged portion of the store" starting this week and will take "additional steps to prepare for construction in the coming months".
"We continue to closely assess the condition of the site and partner with local officials to secure the area and repair the store as safely as possible," added Target in their statement.
The store in Barboursville was initially closed on Feb. 2 when the hill first slipped, according to local media outlet Eyewitness News and the company called in structural engineers and utility workers to assess broken water and sewer lines on the property. However, it received major damage Wednesday morning due to further slipping overnight.
Water supply limited
Barboursville Mayor Chris Tatum told WSAZ last week that other businesses in the plaza will continue to be operational and are not believed to be in any danger.
However, water supply to the area has been limited, as per Eyewitness News as authorities investigate the slipping hill, causing hinderances for other businesses in the area. A West Virginia American Water spokesperson told the local media outlet that the initial slip on Feb. 2 damaged its water main. Portable toilets have been set up nearby to facilitate businesses in the area and their customers.
Tatum told Eyewitness News that three homes behind the Target store received voluntary evacuation notices from Target, before Wednesday's slip. The company also offered to cover the relocation costs for the residents of those homes, according to the mayor.
Target in their statement to USA TODAY said that "local officials notified nearby homeowners of the situation," and that the company is "taking steps to support them".
Tatum added that the perimeter and roadway behind the building also received significant damage.
See photos:California mansion sits on edge of a cliff after after Dana Point landslide
'Law Enforcement will be diligent'
In an update on Wednesday, Tatum said outsiders were "invading the neighborhood" and said that Target is "trying to keep people safe".
"Law Enforcement will be diligent in extra patrols, but please give these people some privacy and the construction teams room to work," wrote Tatum on Facebook. "The safety of all affected is the number one concern."
Saman Shafiq is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter @saman_shafiq7.
veryGood! (28998)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Election vendor hits Texas counties with surcharge for software behind voter registration systems
- Expand or stand pat? NCAA faces dilemma about increasing tournament field as ratings soar
- Emma Roberts says Kim Kardashian laughed after their messy kiss on 'American Horror Story'
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Arkansas mom arrested after 7-year-old son found walking 8 miles to school, reports say
- New York lawmakers push back budget deadline again
- Kristin Cavallari Claps Back on Claim She’s Paying Mark Estes to Date Her
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Oklahoma executes Michael DeWayne Smith for 2002 fatal shootings
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Cleanup begins as spring nor’easter moves on. But hundreds of thousands still lack power
- Cleanup begins as spring nor’easter moves on. But hundreds of thousands still lack power
- Chiefs’ Rashee Rice was driving Lamborghini in Dallas chain-reaction crash, his attorney says
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Conan O’Brien will be a guest on ‘The Tonight Show,’ 14 years after his acrimonious exit
- Celebrity Stylist Jason Bolden Unveils 8 Other Reasons Collection, and It’s Affordable Jewelry Done Right
- Chiefs’ Rashee Rice was driving Lamborghini in Dallas chain-reaction crash, his attorney says
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Falling trees kill 4 people as storms slam New York, Pennsylvania and Northeast
Video shows Tyson's trainer wincing, spitting fluid after absorbing punches from Iron Mike
F1 star Guenther Steiner loves unemployed life, and his new role with F1 Miami Grand Prix
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Trump says Israel has to get Gaza war over ‘fast,’ warns it is ‘losing the PR war’
Watch California thief disguised as garbage bag steal package in doorbell cam footage
Tech companies want to build artificial general intelligence. But who decides when AGI is attained?