Current:Home > My2 women killed by Elias Huizar were his ex-wife and 17-year-old he had baby with: Police -FutureFinance
2 women killed by Elias Huizar were his ex-wife and 17-year-old he had baby with: Police
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:45:56
Police have identified the two women allegedly killed by a former Washington police officer who set off an Amber Alert this week after fleeing with his 1-year-old son across state lines.
Elias Huizar, a former Yakima, Washington police officer, shot himself in the head at the end of the pursuit on I-5 in Oregon. The child, identified as 1-year-old Roman Santos, was found in the back seat unharmed and was taken safely into police custody.
In a press conference held Wednesday, the West Richland Police Department identified the two women who were killed as Amber Rodriguez, Huizar's ex-wife, who investigators believe he fatally shot outside of the elementary school where she taught before fleeing from officers, and Angelica Santos, his 17-year-old girlfriend and Roman's mother.
Huizar has been charged with Rodriguez's death. Police said Santos' death remains under investigation, pending an autopsy.
The motive, timeline of the deaths and the investigation into the case continues, West Richland Police Chief Thomas Grego said in a press conference.
Huizar, 39, met Santos when he was a school resource officer at her middle school, where he was accused of raping and impregnating her, police said.
Deputy killed:Pickup truck hits and kills longtime Texas deputy helping at crash site
Elias Huizar previously issued no-contact order, court docs state
Court documents filed in Benton County Superior Court in Washington said Huizar appeared in court on Feb. 15 and entered a not guilty plea on charges he had allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager while she was sleeping in his home, according to NBC News. Another teenager had reportedly witnessed the incident, according to NBC.
Huizar was released after posting a $200,000 bond, according to reporting in the Tri-City Herald. The article, citing court documents, said police started investigating the incident after Huizar's "17-year-old girlfriend, their 9-month-old son and her teenage friend" approached Benton County Sheriff's Office deputies on Feb. 3.
No-contact orders were issued for the victims in the case and Huizer was ordered not to go within 1,000 feet of their schools, homes or workplaces, a ruling that could have prevented Huizar from seeing his own child, according to the report, which cited statements made by a prosecuting attorney during a February court hearing.
veryGood! (28)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Federal judge again rules that California’s ban on assault weapons is unconstitutional
- Tropical Storm Tammy is forecast to bring heavy rain to the Caribbean this weekend
- Israel-Hamas war fuels anger and protests across the Middle East amid fears of a wider conflict
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- After 2022 mistreatment, former Alabama RB Kerry Goode won't return to Neyland Stadium
- 'Organs of Little Importance' explores the curious ephemera that fill our minds
- AP Week in Pictures: Asia
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- 3 endangered sawfish born at SeaWorld – the first successful captive birth of the species in the U.S.
Ranking
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Birds nesting in agricultural lands more vulnerable to extreme heat, study finds
- Mississippi man sentenced to 9 years in prison for attacking Capitol police on Jan. 6
- AP PHOTOS: Spectacular Myanmar lake festival resumes after 3 years
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Florida GameStop employee charged after fatally shooting suspected shoplifter, police say
- Pulse nightclub to be purchased by city of Orlando with plans of mass shooting memorial
- Fugees rapper claims lawyer's use of AI wrecked his case, requests new trial
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Martin Scorsese on new movie ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’: ‘Maybe we’re all capable of this’
Fake accounts, old videos, and rumors fuel chaos around Gaza hospital explosion
Drones attack a US military base in southern Syria and there are minor injuries, US officials say
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich 'thought about getting booted' so he could watch WNBA finals
Southern California university mourns loss of four seniors killed in Pacific Coast Highway crash
ICC drops war crimes charges against former Central African Republic government minister