Current:Home > InvestPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:5 patients die after oxygen cut off in Gaza hospital seized by Israeli forces, health officials say -FutureFinance
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:5 patients die after oxygen cut off in Gaza hospital seized by Israeli forces, health officials say
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 01:47:09
Five patients in intensive care died after their oxygen was cut off in southern Gaza's main hospital that was stormed by Israeli troops,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center causing chaos for hundreds of staff and wounded inside, health officials said Friday. Troops were searching the complex where the military said it believes the remains of hostages abducted by Hamas might be located.
The raid came after troops had besieged Nasser Hospital in the southern city of Khan Younis for nearly a week, with staff, patients and others inside struggling under heavy fire and dwindling supplies, including food and water. The Israeli military said Friday it had detained dozens from the facility, including some it alleged were involved in Hamas' Oct. 7 attack on Israel.
Also Friday, an assailant opened fire at a bus stop on a busy intersection in southern Israel, killing two people and wounding four before being shot dead by a bystander. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Later Friday, Israeli security forces arrived at the Jerusalem home of a Palestinian man who was previously identified on social media as being linked to the attack.
Negotiations over a cease-fire in Gaza, meanwhile, appear to have stalled, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday pushed back hard against the U.S. vision for after the war — particularly its calls for the creation of a Palestinian state. After speaking overnight with President Joe Biden, Netanyahu wrote on X that Israel will not accept "international dictates regarding a permanent settlement with the Palestinians."
He said that if other countries unilaterally recognize a Palestinian state, it would give a "reward to terrorism." Netanyahu has repeatedly rejected the creation of a Palestinian state.
Netanyahu has vowed to continue the offensive and expand it to the Gaza city of Rafah, near Egypt, until Hamas is destroyed and scores of hostages taken during the militants' Oct. 7 attack are freed. In their phone call, Biden again cautioned Netanyahu against moving forward with a military operation in Rafah before coming up with a "credible and executable plan" to ensure the safety of Palestinian civilians, the White House said.
Two Israeli airstrikes on Rafah overnight killed at least 12 people, including nine members of the same family, according to hospital officials.
With the war showing no sign of ending, the risk of a broader conflict grew as Israel and Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group had the deadliest exchange of fire along the border since the start of the Israel-Hamas war. Israel launched airstrikes into southern Lebanon for a second day on Thursday after killing 10 civilians and three Hezbollah fighters on Wednesday in response to a rocket attack that killed an Israeli soldier and wounded several others.
Nasser Hospital was the latest in a series of hospitals Israeli forces have besieged and stormed during the war, claiming Hamas was using them for military purposes. The assaults have gutted Gaza's health sector as it struggles to treat a constant stream of people wounded in daily bombardments.
The military said Thursday it had "credible intelligence" that Hamas had held hostages there and that the hostages' remains might still be inside. On Friday, the military said its troops were continuing to search the hospital but did not report finding any bodies.
It said they arrested 20 people on suspicion of participating in the Oct. 7 attack, and that dozens were taken for questioning. It also said troops found grenades and mortar shells, and that militants had fired mortars from inside the hospital a month ago. The claims could not be independently confirmed.
A released hostage told The Associated Press last month that she and over two dozen other captives had been held in Nasser Hospital.
As they searched, troops ordered the more than 460 staff, patients and their relatives to move into an older building in the compound that isn't equipped to treat patients, the Gaza Health Ministry said. Six patients were left in the ICU with no one to watch over them, along with three infants in incubators, the ministry said.
On Friday, the ministry said five of those patients had died because electricity was cut, stopping oxygen supplies for them. "The Israeli occupation is responsible for the lives of patients and staff as the compound now is under its full control," the ministry said. It said troops had set up in the hospital's maternity ward and were bringing male patients there, apparently for interrogation.
Israeli troops, tanks and snipers have surrounded Nasser Hospital for at least a week, with food, water and supplies inside dwindling and fire from outside killing several people inside, according to health officials. Hours before the troops moved into the hospital Thursday, Israeli fire killed one patient and wounded six others, staff said.
Hamas in a statement Friday denied that its fighters were using Nasser Hospital for military purposes, calling the accusations "lies circulated to justify the war crime."
International law prohibits the targeting of medical facilities, though they can lose those protections if they are used for military purposes. Even then, Israel must take precautions and follow principles of proportionality, the U.N. Human Rights Office said, adding that "as the occupying power" Israel has the duty to maintain medical facilities.
The war began when Hamas militants on Oct. 7 burst out of Gaza and attacked several Israeli communities, killing some 1,200 people and taking another 250 hostage. More than 100 captives were freed during a cease-fire in November in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners. Around 130 hostages remain in Gaza, a fourth of whom are believed to be dead.
Israel responded to the Hamas attack with one of the deadliest and most destructive military campaigns in recent history.
At least 28,775 Palestinians have been killed, mostly women and children, and more than 68,500 wounded, according to Gaza's Health Ministry, which does not distinguish between civilians and combatants. Some 80% of the population has been driven from their homes, and a quarter are starving amid a worsening humanitarian catastrophe. Large areas in northern Gaza, the first target of the offensive, have been completely destroyed.
Israeli media reported that CIA Director William Burns flew to Israel to meet with Netanyahu to discuss efforts for a cease-fire.
Hamas says it will not release all the remaining captives until Israel ends its offensive, and withdraws and frees Palestinian prisoners, including top militants.
Netanyahu has rejected those demands and says Israel will soon expand its offensive into Rafah, Gaza's southernmost city. Over half of Gaza's population of 2.3 million has sought refuge in Rafah after fleeing fighting elsewhere.
- In:
- War
- Hostage Situation
- Hamas
- Israel
- Joe Biden
- Politics
- Gaza Strip
- Benjamin Netanyahu
veryGood! (4)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Brawl in Houston courtroom as murdered girl’s family tries to attack her killer after guilty plea
- North Carolina man arrested for threats against Jewish organization
- Stretch of I-25 to remain closed for days as debris from train derailment is cleared
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Love Is Blind Villain Uche Answers All Your Burning Questions After Missing Reunion
- Sweden reports damage to an undersea cable to Estonia, after Finland cites damage to a gas pipeline
- Man imprisoned 16 years for wrongful conviction fatally shot by Georgia deputy
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- No charges for deputy who fatally shot 21-year-old during traffic stop
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- The world’s best sports car? AWD & electric power put 2024 Corvette E-Ray in the picture
- Natural History Museum vows better stewardship of human bones
- Maren Morris Files For Divorce From Husband Ryan Hurd After 5 Years of Marriage
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Body of JJ Vallow, murdered son of 'Doomsday Mom' Lori Vallow, to be released to family
- Deadly attack in Belgium ignites fierce debate on failures of deportation policy
- After 37 years, DNA points to a neighbor in Florida woman's 1986 murder
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
South Carolina teen elected first Black homecoming queen in school's 155 years of existence
As Israel battles Hamas, Biden begins diplomatic visit with Netanyahu in Tel Aviv
Inbox cluttered with spam? Here's how to (safely) unsubscribe from emails
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
'Good weekend' for Cowboys: Dallas survives 'must-win' game after losses by 49ers, Eagles
Instead of coming face-to-face with Michael Cohen, Trump confronts emails and spreadsheets at New York trial
Deputy fatally shoots exonerated man who was wrongfully convicted for 16 years