Current:Home > ContactThe USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier is returning home after extended deployment defending Israel -FutureFinance
The USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier is returning home after extended deployment defending Israel
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 04:34:14
WASHINGTON (AP) — After months of extra duty at sea providing protection for Israel, the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier strike group will be heading home, the Navy announced on Monday.
The Ford and its accompanying warships will be replaced by the amphibious assault ship the USS Bataan and its accompanying warships, the USS Mesa Verde and the USS Carter Hall. The three vessels had been in the Red Sea and have been transiting toward the Eastern Mediterranean over the last few days.
The Ford was sent to the Eastern Mediterranean to be within striking distance of Israel since the day after Hamas’ Oct. 7 attacks. The carrier stayed in the Eastern Mediterranean while its accompanying warships had sailed into the Red Sea, where they repeatedly intercepted incoming ballistic missiles and attack drones fired from Houthi-controlled Yemen. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin visited the Ford last month.
Since it was extended in the Eastern Mediterranean, the Ford and the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier have been part of a two-carrier presence bracketing the Israel-Hamas war, underscoring U.S. concerns that the conflict will widen. The Eisenhower has recently patrolled near the Gulf of Aden, at the mouth of the Red Sea waterway, where so many commercial vessels have come under attack in recent weeks.
On Sunday, helicopters from the Eisenhower and its destroyer the USS Gravely responded to a distress call from the container ship Maersk Hangzhou, which was under attack by four Iranian-backed Houthi small boats. As the helicopters responded, the boats fired at them with crew-served weapons and small arms and the helicopters returned fire, sinking three of the four boats and killing their crews, the U.S. Central Command said.
The incessant attacks on the commercial ships have led some companies to suspend transits through the narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait, which connects the Gulf of Aden to the southern Red Sea and then the Suez Canal.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- NFL Week 4 overreactions: Rashee Rice injury ends Chiefs’ three-peat hopes?
- Wendy Williams Says It’s About Time for Sean Diddy Combs' Arrest
- Bowl projections: College football Week 5 brings change to playoff field
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Streets of mud: Helene dashes small town's hopes in North Carolina
- Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month With These Products From Jill Martin, Laura Geller, and More
- Man destroys autographed Taylor Swift guitar he won at charity auction
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Pumpkin spice fans today is your day: Celebrate National Pumpkin Spice Day
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Frank Fritz of the reality TV Show ‘American Pickers’ dies at 60
- Maryland announces juvenile justice reforms and launch of commission
- Nicole Kidman's NSFW Movie Babygirl Is Giving 50 Shades of Grey—But With a Twist
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Nicole Kidman's Daughter Sunday Makes Bewitching Runway Debut at Paris Fashion Week
- US job openings rise to 8 million as labor market remains sturdy
- Exclusive: Watch the rousing trailer for Disney+'s 'Music by John Williams'
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
John Amos, Star of Good Times and Roots, Dead at 84
Boo Buckets are coming back: Fall favorite returns to McDonald's Happy Meals this month
Is the food in the fridge still good? California wants to end the guessing game
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
How a looming port workers strike may throw small businesses for a loop
The Latest: VP candidates Vance and Walz meet in last scheduled debate for 2024 tickets
'No one was expecting this': Grueling searches resume in NC: Helene live updates