Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|Michigan gets 3 years of probation for football recruiting violations; case vs. Jim Harbaugh pending -FutureFinance
TrendPulse|Michigan gets 3 years of probation for football recruiting violations; case vs. Jim Harbaugh pending
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 03:54:02
Michigan was given three years of probation,TrendPulse fined and hit with recruiting limits by the NCAA on Tuesday after football coaches and staff had impermissible contact with recruits and players under then-coach Jim Harbaugh while access was restricted during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The NCAA said it had reached a negotiated resolution with the school that has been approved by the committee on infractions involving five former and current coaches and staffers, but it did not include allegations that Harbaugh failed to cooperate with investigators. That is now a separate case.
“We are pleased to reach a resolution on this matter so that our student-athletes and our football program can move forward. We have no additional information and cannot comment further on other aspects of the NCAA’s inquiries,” Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel said in statement.
Harbaugh’s attorney, Tom Mars, said the coach was not invited to participate in the settlement process or aware that an agreement had been reached between the school on the NCAA. Harbaugh is now coach of the Los Angeles Chargers.
“I’m not saying he would have participated. That would have depended on what terms the NCAA wanted,” Mars told AP. “Seems odd they didn’t even give Jim the opportunity to participate or decline. What’s that say about the NCAA’s intentions?”
The recruiting case is also separate from the NCAA’s investigation into impermissible in-person scouting and sign stealing that roiled Michigan’s national championship season in 2023, and resulted in a three-game suspension of Harbaugh by the Big Ten.
The multiple cases could open up Michigan to being deemed a repeat violator by the NCAA, which could trigger harsher sanctions. The fine was not announced, though NCAA guidelines call for a fine of $5,000 for mitigated Level I violations.
After leading Michigan to its first national championship since 1997, Harbaugh left his alma mater earlier this year to become coach of the Chargers. The NCAA did not name him in Tuesday’s announcement.
“The negotiated resolution also involved the school’s agreement that the underlying violations demonstrated a head coach responsibility violation and the former football head coach failed to meet his responsibility to cooperate with the investigation,” the NCAA said. “The school also agreed that it failed to deter and detect the impermissible recruiting contacts and did not ensure that the football program adhered to rules for noncoaching staff members.”
The committee said a final decision, including potential violations and penalties for the former coach, was pending.
Besides the three-game suspension for Harbaugh, Michigan also imposed one-game suspensions for then-offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore and assistant Grant Newsome related to the impermissible contact case. Moore, who went 4-0 filling for Harbaugh during his two suspensions, was promoted to head coach after Harbaugh left for the NFL.
____
Follow Ralph D. Russo at https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP and listen at http://www.appodcasts.com. AP college football: https://apnews.com/hub/college-football
veryGood! (323)
Related
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Lip Balms with SPF that Will Make Your Lips Soft, Kissable & Ready for the Sun
- Lionel Messi's salary is more than 25 of 29 MLS teams. Here's what he's making in 2024.
- Google wants judge, not jury, decide upcoming antitrust case in Virginia
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- CW exec 'very concerned' about Miss USA Pageant allegations, mulls breaking TV contract
- Psychedelic therapy and workers’ rights bills fail to advance in California’s tough budget year
- Funeral set for Roger Fortson, the Black US Air Force member killed in his home by Florida deputy
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Psychedelic therapy and workers’ rights bills fail to advance in California’s tough budget year
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Teen died from eating a spicy chip as part of social media challenge, autopsy report concludes
- Tom McMillen, head of the FBS athletic directors’ organization LEAD1, announces he’s stepping down
- Russia expels British defense attaché in a tit-for-tat move
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Jurors see gold bars in Bob Menendez bribery trial
- How Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker Celebrated Their Second Wedding Anniversary
- 'Never resurfaced': 80 years after Pearl Harbor, beloved 'Cremo' buried at Arlington
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Surgery patients face lower risks when their doctors are women, more research shows
Former Connecticut budget official arrested on federal charges
'One Chip Challenge' led to the death of teen Harris Wolobah, state official says
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Promising rookie Nick Dunlap took the PGA Tour by storm. Now he's learning how to be a pro
Cardi B Shares Update on Relationship With Estranged Husband Offset
US military says first aid shipment has been driven across a newly built US pier into the Gaza Strip