Current:Home > InvestMaui has released the names of 388 people still missing after deadly wildfire -FutureFinance
Maui has released the names of 388 people still missing after deadly wildfire
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:16:45
LAHAINA, Hawaii (AP) — Maui County released the names of 388 people still missing Thursday more than two weeks after the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century, and officials asked anyone who knows a person on the list to be safe to contact authorities.
The FBI compiled the list of names. The number of confirmed dead after fires on Maui that destroyed the historic seaside community of Lahaina stands at 115, a number the county said is expected to rise.
“We also know that once those names come out, it can and will cause pain for folks whose loved ones are listed,” Police Chief John Pelletier said in a statement. “This is not an easy thing to do, but we want to make sure that we are doing everything we can to make this investigation as complete and thorough as possible.”
Names on the list were deemed validated if officials had a person’s first and last name and a verified contact for the person who reported them missing, officials said.
An additional 1,732 people who had been reported missing have been found safe as of Thursday afternoon, officials said.
On Wednesday, officials said 1,000 to 1,100 names remained on the FBI’s tentative, unconfirmed list of people unaccounted for, but DNA had been collected from only 104 families, a figure far lower than in previous major disasters around the country.
Hawaii officials had expressed concern that by releasing a list of the missing, they would also be identifying some people who have died. Pelletier said Tuesday that his team faced difficulties in compiling a solid list. In some cases, people provided only partial names, and in other cases names might be duplicated.
Maui County sued Hawaiian Electric Co. on Thursday, saying the utility negligently failed to shut off power despite exceptionally high winds and dry conditions. Witness accounts and video indicated that sparks from power lines ignited fires as utility poles snapped in the winds, which were driven by a passing hurricane.
Hawaii Electric said in a statement it is “very disappointed that Maui County chose this litigious path while the investigation is still unfolding.”
veryGood! (39)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Teddi Mellencamp's Estranged Husband Edwin Arroyave Responds to Divorce
- Kohl’s unveils Black Friday plans: Here’s when customers can expect deals
- Will Nico Collins play Week 10? Latest updates as Texans WR returns to practice
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Entergy Mississippi breaks ground on new power station
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs again requests release from jail, but with new conditions
- Judge says New York can’t use ‘antiquated, unconstitutional’ law to block migrant buses from Texas
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- New LA police chief sworn in as one of the highest-paid chiefs in the US
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- A Timeline of Brianna Chickenfry LaPaglia and Zach Bryan's Breakup Drama
- Louisiana lawmakers advance Gov. Jeff Landry’s tax cut bills
- Nicole Scherzinger Apologizes for Hurt Caused by Controversial Instagram Comment
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Frustrated Americans await the economic changes they voted for with Trump
- 'Outer Banks' Season 5: Here's what we know so far about Netflix series' final season
- The Ravens' glaring flaw flared up vs. the Bengals. It could be their eventual undoing.
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Why Wicked’s Marissa Bode Wants Her Casting to Set A New Precedent in Hollywood
Rare Sephora Deals on Beauty Devices That Never Go On Sale: Dyson Airwrap, NuFace & More
Ice Age 6 Movie Sequel Is in the Works, So Prepare for an Avalanche of Fun
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
NYC man is charged with insurance fraud in staged car crash captured by dashcam
Watch as Rockefeller Christmas tree begins journey to NYC: Here's where it's coming from
Barry Keoghan Has the Sweetest Response to Sabrina Carpenter's Grammy Nominations