Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400 -FutureFinance
SignalHub-Sudan fighting rages despite ceasefire calls as death toll climbs over 400
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 05:56:08
At least 413 people have SignalHubbeen killed in fighting in Sudan since violence broke out on April 15, according to the United Nations' World Health Organization, most of them civilians. One U.S. citizen is among those who've been killed, the State Department said Thursday, without providing further detail.
In his first statement since his disagreement with another commander engulfed Sudan in violence nearly a week ago, the head of the Sudanese Armed Forces, Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, said Friday that he was committed to a "safe transition to civilian rule" for the east African country, the Associated Press reported. The comments appeared to be a bid for international support as the deadly fighting between his forces and those of his now-rival, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, continued despite calls for a ceasefire to stop the bloodshed for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.
- 2 Sudan generals are at war with each other. Here's what to know.
Burhan and Dagalo, who commands Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), had been allies, joining forces to topple long-time dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019. But a recent dispute over how to consolidate their two forces turned them against one another, leading to the current bloodshed, which three ceasefire attempts have now failed to halt.
A Sudanese medical group said "several areas of Khartoum were bombed" overnight as people marked the holiday, and there was ongoing "shelling and clashes," according to the AP.
"Instead of waking up to the call to prayer, people in Khartoum again woke up to heavy fighting," Endre Stiansen, Norway's ambassador to Sudan said Thursday. "Can any hell be more horrible than this?"
The sudden eruption of warfare in the country has left many other nations scrambling to try and ensure the safety of their citizens there.
The U.S. was "moving forward to pre-position some military forces and capabilities nearby just for contingency purposes in case they would be needed for any kind of evacuation," National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Thursday. He added that no decision had yet been made about evacuating U.S. personnel.
Meanwhile, civilians caught up in the fighting were continuing to try to flee to safety.
"There is no safe place anymore in Khartoum," 37-year-old baker Dallia Abdelmoniem told the AP. She said her family decided to flee the capital after a rocket came through their roof.
From a shelter outside the city, she said the road leading out of Khartoum was covered with dead bodies.
"Our number one priority is just to stay alive," Abdelmoniem said.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (5)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Earthquakes measuring over 3.0 rattles Dallas-Fort Worth area Wednesday afternoon
- Justin Bieber broke down crying on Instagram. Men should pay attention.
- Prince William gives rare health update about Princess Kate amid her cancer diagnosis
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Nicole Brown Simpson’s Harrowing Murder Reexamined in New Docuseries After O.J. Simpson's Death
- Why Boston Mom Was Not Charged After 4 Babies Were Found Dead in Freezer Wrapped in Tin Foil
- Texas school board accepts separation agreement with superintendent over student banned from musical
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Alex Pietrangelo's bad penalty proves costly as Stars beat Golden Knights in Game 5
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Landmark Google antitrust case ready to conclude
- Sword-wielding man charged with murder in London after child killed, several others wounded
- Dallas Mavericks hand LA Clippers their worst postseason loss, grab 3-2 series lead
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Appeals court rejects climate change lawsuit by young Oregon activists against US government
- Cher opens up to Jennifer Hudson about her hesitance to date Elvis Presley: 'I was nervous'
- Vendor that mishandled Pennsylvania virus data to pay $2.7 million in federal whistleblower case
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
The Masked Singer Reveals 2 American Idol Alums in Jaw-Dropping Double Elimination
US regulators maintain fishing quota for valuable baby eels, even as Canada struggles with poaching
Over 40% of Americans see China as an enemy, a Pew report shows. That’s a five-year high
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Nicole Brown Simpson’s Harrowing Murder Reexamined in New Docuseries After O.J. Simpson's Death
Murder suspect accused of eating part of victim's face after homicide near Las Vegas Strip
Women's basketball is bouncing back with fans | The Excerpt