Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:RFK Jr. loses attempt to withdraw from Michigan ballot -FutureFinance
Poinbank:RFK Jr. loses attempt to withdraw from Michigan ballot
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:36:21
LANSING,Poinbank Mich. (AP) — The Michigan Supreme Court ruled Monday that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will remain on the state’s November presidential ballot, ending Kennedy’s efforts to withdraw his name to help support former President Donald Trump.
Kennedy suspended his third-party presidential campaign and endorsed Trump in August. He sued Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, a Democrat, on Aug. 30 in an attempt to remove his name from the ballot so as not to siphon votes away from Trump, who won Michigan by about 10,000 votes in 2016.
Monday’s decision reverses an intermediate-level Court of Appeals ruling made Friday. It ensures that Kennedy’s name will appear on voters’ ballots in the valuable battleground state despite his withdrawal from the race.
The court said in a brief order that Kennedy “has not shown an entitlement to this extraordinary relief, and we reverse.”
“This plainly has nothing to do with ballot or election integrity,” Kennedy’s attorney, Aaron Siri, said in a written statement. “The aim is precisely the opposite — to have unwitting Michigan voters throw away their votes on a withdrawn candidate.”
The Associated Press reached out to Benson’s office seeking a comment on the ruling.
Kennedy is attempting to withdraw his name from states where the presidential race will be close in November. He had scored a legal victory in North Carolina and suffered a setback in Wisconsin Friday.
Justices nominated by Democrats currently hold a 4-3 majority on the Michigan Supreme Court. The order was unsigned and two Republican-nominated justices wrote a dissenting opinion.
“We can only hope that the Secretary’s misguided action — now sanctioned with the imprimatur of this Court — will not have national implications,” the dissenting justices wrote.
Kennedy was nominated for president by the Natural Law Party in Michigan. Benson had previously cited a state law saying candidates who are nominated and accept a minor party’s nomination “shall not be permitted to withdraw.”
veryGood! (148)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 15 wishes for 2023: Trailblazers tell how they'd make life on Earth a bit better
- Emotional Vin Diesel Details How Meadow Walker’s Fast X Cameo Honors Her Late Dad Paul Walker
- In U.S. Race to Reap Offshore Wind, Ambitions for Maryland Remain High
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Keystone XL, Dakota Pipelines Will Draw Mass Resistance, Native Groups Promise
- New York City’s Solar Landfill Plan Finds Eager Energy Developers
- Vegas Golden Knights cruise by Florida Panthers to capture first Stanley Cup
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- A Trump-appointed Texas judge could force a major abortion pill off the market
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Analysis: Can Geothermal Help Japan in Crisis?
- Kids’ Climate Lawsuit Thrown Out by Appeals Court
- Florida Fracking Ban Bill Draws Bipartisan Support
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 9 diseases that keep epidemiologists up at night
- Ukraine: The Handoff
- Farm Bureau Warily Concedes on Climate, But Members Praise Trump’s Deregulation
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
COVID flashback: On Jan. 30, 2020, WHO declared a global health emergency
Job Boom in Michigan, as Clean Energy Manufacturing Drives Economic Recovery
Trump delivered defiant speech after indictment hearing. Here's what he said.
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
U.S. Military Report Warns Climate Change Threatens Key Bases
New York City’s Solar Landfill Plan Finds Eager Energy Developers
From a green comet to cancer-sniffing ants, we break down the science headlines