Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out -FutureFinance
Poinbank Exchange|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 02:45:32
BOSTON (AP) — Families staying in overflow shelter sites in Massachusetts will soon have Poinbank Exchangeto document each month their efforts to find a path out of the overflow system, including looking for housing or a job, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Monday.
Beginning May 1, families will have to be recertified monthly to remain eligible to stay in the state-run overflow sites.
They will need to show what steps they’ve taken to work toward independence, including applying for work authorization permits, participating in a workforce training program, submitting job applications, taking English classes or searching for housing, according to the administration.
“We have said for months now that our system is at capacity, and we do not have the space, providers or funding to continue expanding,” Emergency Assistance Director General Scott Rice said. “This new certification policy is a responsible step to address the capacity constraints at our safety-net sites.”
The policy does not apply to sites operated by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization.
Massachusetts has been grappling with the growing influx of homeless migrant families seeking shelter in the state.
The state’s Emergency Assistance family shelter system serves homeless families with children or pregnant women. Less than half of families in EA are new arrivals to Massachusetts.
Last fall, the administration announced that the system could no longer safely or responsibly expand and set up a waiting list. Families who qualify for emergency shelter and are on the waiting list are eligible to stay at the state’s overflow or safety-net sites, currently providing shelter for about 200 families.
The administration also announced Monday that it will be opening a new overflow shelter site next month in Chelsea at the former Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. The site is vacant and is eventually slated to be demolished.
At full capacity, the Chelsea site will be able to accommodate approximately 100 families.
The announcement comes after the Massachusetts Senate last week approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote of 32-8, the state would limit maximum stays to nine months with the possibility of 90 more days for veterans, pregnant women and people who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Currently, there are no limits on the time a family can spend in emergency housing.
A bill already passed by the House would provide funding covering the rest of the 2024 fiscal year that ends June 30 and part of 2025. The legislation is expected to go to a conference committee to hammer out a single compromise bill before it’s shipped to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey’s desk.
veryGood! (241)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Florida State drops out of AP Top 25 after 0-2 start. Texas up to No. 3 behind Georgia, Ohio State
- School bus hits and kills Kentucky high school student
- Donald Trump biopic releases first clip from controversial 'The Apprentice' film
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- 'Bachelorette' finale reveals Jenn Tran's final choice — and how it all went wrong
- Mia Farrow says she 'completely' understands if actors work with Woody Allen
- Where is College GameDay for Week 2? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- School bus hits and kills Kentucky high school student
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Influencer Meredith Duxbury Shares Her Genius Hack for Wearing Heels When You Have Blisters
- Arkansas judge convicted of lying to feds about seeking sex with defendant’s girlfriend
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump and Harris zero in on economic policy plans ahead of first debate
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Chad T. Richards, alleged suspect in murder of gymnast Kara Welsh, appears in court
- Rapper Eve Details Past Ectopic Pregnancy and Fertility Journey
- Ugandan opposition figure Bobi Wine is shot and wounded in a confrontation with police
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Another heat wave headed for the west. Here are expert tips to keep cool.
A decomposing body was found in a nursing home closet
Naomi Campbell Shades “Other Lady” Anna Wintour in Award Speech
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Mega Millions winning numbers for September 3 drawing: Did anyone win $681 million jackpot?
Donald Trump's campaign prohibited from using Isaac Hayes song after lawsuit threat
Police in Hawaii release man who killed neighbor who fatally shot 3 people at gathering