Current:Home > FinanceMother of Australian surfers killed in Mexico gives moving tribute to sons at a beach in San Diego -FutureFinance
Mother of Australian surfers killed in Mexico gives moving tribute to sons at a beach in San Diego
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 01:52:57
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The mother of two Australian surfers killed in Mexico delivered a moving tribute to her sons Tuesday at a beach in San Diego.
“Our hearts are broken and the world has become a darker place for us,” Debra Robinson said, fighting back tears. “They were young men enjoying their passion of surfing together.”
Her sons, Callum and Jake, were allegedly killed by car thieves in Baja California, across the border from San Diego, somewhere around April 28 or 29.
Robinson also mourned the American who was killed with them, Jack Carter Rhoad.
The beachside location where she spoke, across the border from the Baja California city of Tijuana, was no coincidence. She noted that her son Callum “considered the United States his second home.”
Robinson noted that her son Jake loved surfing so much that, as a doctor, he liked to work in hospitals near the beach.
“Jake’s passion was surfing, and it was no coincidence that many of his hospitals that he worked in were close to surfing beaches,” she said.
Choking back tears, Robinson conveyed a final message that coincided with her sons’ adventurous lifestyles.
“Live bigger, shine brighter, and love harder in their memory,” she said.
Robinson thanked Australian officials and supporters there and in the United States.
While she thanked Mexico’s ambassador to Australia, she notably did not thank the local officials in Baja California who eventually found the bodies of her sons and Carter Rhoad.
Their killers dumped the bodies of the men into a well about 4 miles (6 kilometers) away from where they had been attacked at a beachside campsite. Investigators were surprised when, underneath the bodies of the three foreigners, a fourth body was found that had been there much longer, suggesting the gang had been working in the area for some time.
The fact that such killers are not caught or stopped in the overwhelming majority of cases in Mexico suggests that authorities allow killers to roam free and only investigate such disappearances when they are high-profile cases involving foreigners.
Robinson said that her sons’ bodies, or their ashes, will eventually be taken back to Australia.
“Now it’s time to bring them home to families and friends,” she said. “And the ocean waits in Australia.”
Prosecutors have identified three people as potential suspects, two of whom were caught with methamphetamines. One of them, a woman, had one of the victims’ cellphones when she was caught. Prosecutors said the two were being held pending drug charges but continue to be suspects in the killings.
A third man was arrested on charges of a crime equivalent to kidnapping, but that was before the bodies were found. It was unclear when or if he might face more charges.
The third man was believed to have directly participated in the killings. In keeping with Mexican law, prosecutors identified him by his first name, Jesús Gerardo, alias “el Kekas,” a slang word that means quesadillas, or cheese-filled tortillas.
He had a criminal record that included drug dealing, vehicle theft and domestic violence, and authorities said they were certain that more people were involved.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told a radio station in the Robinsons’ home town of Perth in Western Australia state that every parent felt for the family’s loss.
“I think the whole nation’s heart goes out to the parents of Callum and Jake Robinson. It is every parent’s worst nightmare to lose a son or a daughter. To lose these two brothers is just awful and my deepest sympathies and condolences and I’m sure the whole nation’s with the parents and with the other family and friends of these two fine young Australians,” Albanese told Perth Radio 6PR.
Albanese said he was reminded of when his only child Nathan Albanese traveled last year at the age of 22 to a musical festival in Spain.
“You do worry, but you think as well that’s part of the Australian right of passage, is traveling around with a backpack and meeting people and it’s how you grow as a person as well so you want to encourage them,” Albanese said.
In 2015, two Australian surfers, Adam Coleman and Dean Lucas, were killed in western Sinaloa state, across the Gulf of California — also known as the Sea of Cortez — from the Baja peninsula. Authorities said they were victims of highway bandits. Three suspects were arrested in that case.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (21167)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Go see 'Barbie' and 'Oppenheimer' in theaters — doubleheader or not is your call
- Digital nomads chase thrills by fusing work and foreign travel
- Saint John Paul II accused of protecting pedophiles, fueling debate over late pope's fast-track to sainthood
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Stassi Schroeder Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 2 With Beau Clark
- In the Philippines, a survey shows growing support for gays and lesbians
- Cyclone Freddy's path of destruction: More than 100 dead as record-breaking storm hits Africa twice
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Andrew Tate and his brother are denied bail for a third time in Romania
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- We gaze (again) into 'Black Mirror'
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Crystal Kung Minkoff Shares Must-Haves for People on the Go
- 50 years ago, teenagers partied in the Bronx — and gave rise to hip-hop
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Tom Cruise hangs on for dear life to his 'Mission' to save the movies
- House votes 419-0 to declassify intelligence on COVID-19 origins, sending bill to Biden's desk
- 2 killed in Chile airport shootout during attempted heist of over $32 million aboard plane from Miami
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
See Joseph Gordon Levitt Make His Poker Face Debut as Natasha Lyonne's Charlie Is in Big Trouble
Two new feel-good novels about bookstores celebrate the power of reading
Keke Palmer Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Darius Jackson
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
An afternoon with Bob the Drag Queen
Teen Mom's Ryan Edwards and Wife Mackenzie Break Up After 6 Years of Marriage
Don't Miss This All-Star Roster for Celebrity Game Face Season 4