Current:Home > ScamsBurning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say -FutureFinance
Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:12:21
Stranded Burning Man festival goers began heading home on Monday as a driving ban was lifted in the northern Nevada desert.
Tens of thousands of people had been stuck after flooding forced attendees to shelter in place. As of midday Monday, approximately 63,000 people remained on site, according to Burning Man.
"Exodus operations" began at 2 p.m. local time, organizers said. Though the driving ban was lifted, attendees were advised to consider holding off on trips home until Tuesday to alleviate congestion. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office was helping organize departures from the Black Rock Desert.
"We understand participants are eager to return home, but safety is our top priority," Sheriff Darin Balaam said.
A Friday downpour had turned the festival grounds and surrounding areas into a muddy mess, leaving the roads impassable. The Burning Man entrance was shut down on Saturday, the Washoe County Sheriff's Office said.
"You don't expect this kind of rain and the effect," attendee Paul Tan said.
One person died during the festival. The death occurred during the extreme rain, but not because of it, the Pershing County Sheriff's Office confirmed.
The White House on Sunday said that President Biden had been briefed on the flooding at Burning Man and that administration officials were "monitoring the situation and are in touch with state and local officials."
While people were unable to hop into cars to leave the gathering, some opted to trek through the mud on foot, including superstar DJ and music producer Diplo. He shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Burning Man's organizers asked people not to walk out of the festival on Monday.
Despite the messy conditions, attendee Elizabeth Downing told CBS News she felt safe and comfortable at the festival.
"We were all there as a community and we actually came together and made the best of it," Downing said.
Many will stick around to watch an effigy being burned on Monday night. The burning typically signifies the end of the gathering, which was first launched in 1986. The burning had been postponed because of the weather conditions.
- In:
- Burning Man
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (3979)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- US Sen. Tim Kaine fights for a 3rd term in Virginia against GOP challenger Hung Cao
- Republican Mike Kehoe faces Democrat Crystal Quade for Missouri governor
- Massachusetts voters weigh ballot issues on union rights, wages and psychedelics
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Two Democratic leaders seek reelection in competitive races in New Mexico
- Federal authorities investigating after 'butchered' dolphin found ashore New Jersey beach
- Kristin Cavallari Says Britney Spears Reached Out After She Said She Was a Clone
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Illinois Democrats look to defend congressional seats across the state
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Brooklyn Peltz Beckham Details Double Dates With Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco
- James Van Der Beek, Jenna Fischer and the rise of young people getting cancer
- Prince's Sister Tyka Nelson Dead at 64
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- How do I begin supervising former co-workers and friends? Ask HR
- Colin Allred, Ted Cruz reach end of Senate race that again tests GOP dominance in Texas
- Man arrested on suspicion of plotting to blow up Nashville energy facility
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Soccer Player José Hugo de la Cruz Meza Dead at 39 After Being Struck by Lightning During Televised Game
Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse seeks a fourth term in the US Senate from Rhode Island
Toss-up congressional races in liberal California could determine House control
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
New Hampshire’s governor’s race pits ex-Sen. Kelly Ayotte against ex-Mayor Joyce Craig
Pete Davidson, Khloe Kardashian and More Stars Who Have Had Tattoos Removed
A History of Presidential Pets Who Lived in the Lap of Luxury at the White House