Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Lawmakers warn that Biden must seek authorization before further strikes on Yemen’s Houthi rebels -FutureFinance
SafeX Pro:Lawmakers warn that Biden must seek authorization before further strikes on Yemen’s Houthi rebels
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 04:05:58
WASHINGTON (AP) — A bipartisan group of lawmakers is SafeX Proraising concerns over a series of recent U.S. military strikes against Yemen Houthi rebels, urging the Biden administration to get congressional authorization before taking further military action in the Middle East.
In a letter to President Joe Biden on Friday, a coalition of nearly 30 House members expressed their strong opposition to what they described as “unauthorized” American strikes that have further escalated the biggest confrontation at sea the U.S. Navy has seen in the Middle East in a decade.
“As representatives of the American people, Congress must engage in robust debate before American servicemembers are put in harm’s way and before more U.S. taxpayer dollars are spent on yet another war in the Middle East,” the letter, led by Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., and Rep. Warren Davidson, R-Ohio, stated. “No President, regardless of political party, has the constitutional authority to bypass Congress on matters of war.”
The lawmakers, who hail from the far-right and far-left of their respective parties, represent a small but growing faction in Congress that is skeptical of the nation’s increasing involvement in the Middle East in recent months.
The White House, for their part, has defended the multiple rounds of airstrikes it has taken in partnership with the United Kingdom since early January in response to what has been a persistent campaign of Houthi drone and missile attacks on commercial ships since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October.
Since the beginning of the year, Biden has written several times to Congress stating that the strikes have complied with the 1973 War Powers Act. That law, passed during the Vietnam War, serves as a constitutional check on presidential power to declare war without congressional consent. It requires presidents to notify Congress within 48 hours of military action and limits the use of military forces to no more than 60 days unless Congress authorizes force or declares war.
But lawmakers, including a bipartisan group of senators, have said that decades-old statute does not give the president the “blanket authority” to take military action simply by notifying Congress within 48 hours.
The letter from Khanna and Davidson asserts that the notification only stands if the commander-in-chief “must act due to an attack or imminent attack against the United States.” They said the escalating tensions in the Middle East do not rise to that level.
“We ask that your Administration outlines for us the legal authority used to conduct these strikes, and we urge your Administration to seek authorization from Congress before conducting any more unauthorized strikes in Yemen,” the lawmakers wrote.
Biden has stated that the U.S. would continue the strikes against the Houthis, even though so far they have failed to deter the group from further harassing commercial and military vessels in the region.
When asked by reporters last week if he believes the strikes are working, Biden said, “When you say ‘working,’ are they stopping the Houthis? No.”
He added, “Are they going to continue? Yes.”
veryGood! (92)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Parents and uncle convicted of honor killing Pakistani teen in Italy for refusing arranged marriage
- Forget Hollywood's 'old guard,' Nicolas Cage says the young filmmakers get him
- More than 2.5 million Honda and Acura vehicles are recalled for a fuel pump defect
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Remains of Green River Killer victim identified as runaway 15-year-old Lori Anne Ratzpotnik
- Oklahoma judge rules Glynn Simmons, man who wrongfully spent nearly 50 years in prison for murder, is innocent
- Authorities return restored golden crosses to the domes of Kyiv’s St Sophia Cathedral
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- U.S. helps negotiate cease-fire for Congo election as world powers vie for access to its vital cobalt
Ranking
- Small twin
- A Dutch court has sentenced a man convicted in a notorious Canadian cyberbullying case to 6 years
- Mississippi’s State Board of Education names new superintendent
- Philadelphia news helicopter crew filmed Christmas lights in New Jersey before fatal crash
- Average rate on 30
- Will the Rodriguez family's college dreams survive the end of affirmative action?
- California law banning guns in certain public places temporarily halted by judge
- You’ll Be Charmed by Olivia Flowers’ Holiday Gift Guide Picks, Which Include a $6 Must-Have
Recommendation
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Chilling 'Zone of Interest' imagines life next door to a death camp
Taliban official says Afghan girls of all ages permitted to study in religious schools
Tearful Michael Bublé Shares Promise He Made to Himself Amid Son's Cancer Battle
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
'Anyone But You': Glen Powell calls Sydney Sweeney the 'Miss Congeniality of Australia'
Top COVID FAQs of 2023: Staying safe at home, flying tips, shot combos, new variant
Travis Kelce's Chiefs Teammate Rashee Rice Reacts to His Relationship With Taylor Swift