Current:Home > MarketsIsrael orders Al Jazeera to close its local operation and seizes some of its equipment -FutureFinance
Israel orders Al Jazeera to close its local operation and seizes some of its equipment
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 22:47:26
TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — Israel ordered the local offices of Qatar’s Al Jazeera satellite news network to close Sunday, escalating a long-running feud between the broadcaster and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s hard-line government as Doha-mediated cease-fire negotiations with Hamas hang in the balance.
The extraordinary order, which includes confiscating broadcast equipment, preventing the broadcast of the channel’s reports and blocking its websites, is believed to be the first time Israel has ever shuttered a foreign news outlet.
Al Jazeera went off Israel’s main cable and satellite providers in the hours after the order. However, its website and multiple online streaming links still operated Sunday.
The network has reported the Israeli-Hamas war nonstop since the militants’ initial cross-border attack Oct. 7 and has maintained 24-hour coverage in the Gaza Strip amid Israel’s grinding ground offensive that has killed and wounded members of its own staff. While including on-the-ground reporting of the war’s casualties, its Arabic arm often publishes verbatim video statements from Hamas and other militant groups in the region.
“Al Jazeera reporters harmed Israel’s security and incited against soldiers,” Netanyahu said in a statement. “It’s time to remove the Hamas mouthpiece from our country.”
Al Jazeera issued a statement vowing it will “pursue all available legal channels through international legal institutions in its quest to protect both its rights and journalists, as well as the public’s right to information.”
“Israel’s ongoing suppression of the free press, seen as an effort to conceal its actions in the Gaza Strip, stands in contravention of international and humanitarian law,” the network said. “Israel’s direct targeting and killing of journalists, arrests, intimidation and threats will not deter Al Jazeera.”
Israeli media said the order allows Israel to block the channel from operating in the country for 45 days.
The Israeli government has taken action against individual reporters over the decades since its founding in 1948, but broadly allows for a rambunctious media scene that includes foreign bureaus from around the world, even from Arab nations.
That changed with a law passed last month, which Netanyahu’s office says allows the government to take action against a foreign channel seen as “harming the country.”
Israeli Communication Minister Shlomo Karhi later published footage online of authorities raiding a hotel room Al Jazeera had been broadcasting from in east Jerusalem, which the Palestinians hope to one day have for their future state. He said officials seized some of the channel’s equipment there.
“We finally are able to stop Al Jazeera’s well-oiled incitement machine that harms the security of the country,” Karhi said.
The ban did not appear to affect the channel’s operations in the occupied West Bank or Gaza Strip, where Israel wields control but which are not sovereign Israeli territory.
The decision threatens to heighten tensions with Qatar at a time when the Doha government is playing a key role in mediation efforts to halt the war in Gaza, along with Egypt and the United States.
Qatar has had strained ties with Netanyahu in particular since he made comments suggesting that Qatar is not exerting enough pressure on Hamas to prompt it to relent in its terms for a truce deal. Qatar hosts Hamas leaders in exile at a political office in Doha.
The sides appear to be close to striking a deal, but multiple previous rounds of talks have ended with no agreement.
In a statement Sunday, Hamas condemned the Israeli government order, calling on international organizations to take measures against Israel.
The Foreign Press Association in Israel criticized the order.
“With this decision, Israel joins a dubious club of authoritarian governments to ban the station,” it said. “This is a dark day for the media.”
Omar Shakir, Human Rights Watch’s Israel and Palestine director, criticized the Israeli order as “an assault on freedom of the press.”
“Rather than trying to silence reporting on its atrocities in Gaza, the Israeli government should stop committing them,” he added.
Shortly after the government’s decision, Cabinet members from the National Unity party criticized the timing, saying it “may sabotage the efforts to finalize the negotiations and stems from political considerations.” The party said that in general, it supported the decision.
Israel has long had a rocky relationship with Al Jazeera, accusing it of bias. Relations took a major downturn nearly two years ago when Al Jazeera correspondent Shireen Abu Akleh was killed during an Israeli military raid in the occupied West Bank.
Those relations further deteriorated following the outbreak of Israel’s war against Hamas on Oct. 7, when the militant group carried out a cross-border attack in southern Israel that killed 1,200 people and took 250 others hostage. Since then, the Israeli military campaign in Gaza has killed over 34,000 people, according to local health officials there, who don’t break figures down into civilians and combatants.
Israeli media largely has avoided the plight of those in the Gaza Strip, instead focusing on the Oct. 7 attack, the hostages held there and tales of Israeli military heroism.
Meanwhile in December, an Israeli strike killed an Al Jazeera cameraman as he reported on the war in southern Gaza. The channel’s bureau chief in Gaza, Wael Dahdouh, was wounded in the same attack. Dahdouh, a correspondent well-known to Palestinians during many wars, later evacuated Gaza but only after Israeli strikes killed his wife, three of his children and a grandson.
Al Jazeera is one of the few international media outlets to remain in Gaza throughout the war, broadcasting bloody scenes of airstrikes and overcrowded hospitals and accusing Israel of massacres.
Criticism of the channel is not new, however. The U.S. government singled out the broadcaster during America’s occupation of Iraq after its 2003 invasion toppled dictator Saddam Hussein and for airing videos of the late al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden.
Al Jazeera has been closed or blocked by other Mideast governments.
Most notably in 2013, Egyptian authorities raided a luxury hotel used by Al Jazeera as an operating base after the military takeover that followed mass protests against President Mohammed Morsi. Three Al Jazeera staff members received 10-year prison sentences, but were released in 2015 following widespread international criticism.
___
Gambrell reported from Jerusalem. Associated Press writer Jack Jeffrey in Jerusalem contributed.
veryGood! (24637)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Georgia Senate passes bill to revive oversight panel that critics say is aimed at Trump prosecution
- Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce and finding happiness and hatred all at once
- A man was killed when a tank exploded at a Michigan oil-pumping station
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- South Dakota man accused of running down chief deputy during 115-mph police chase is charged with murder
- Save 36% on Peter Thomas Roth Retinol That Reduces Fine Lines & Wrinkles While You Sleep
- 'Suits' stars reunite in court with Judge Judy for e.l.f. Cosmetics' Super Bowl commercial
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Brandon Aiyuk is finally catching attention as vital piece of 49ers' Super Bowl run
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Punishing storm finally easing off in Southern California but mudslide threat remains
- A SWAT team sniper killed a bank hostage-taker armed with a knife, sheriff says
- Largest-ever MLS preseason event coming to Coachella Valley in 2024
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery plan to launch a sports streaming platform
- GoFundMe says $30 billion has been raised on its crowdfunding and nonprofit giving platforms
- Trump immunity claim rejected by appeals court in 2020 election case
Recommendation
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Employers can now match student debt payments with retirement contributions. Will they?
Toby Keith wrote 20 top songs in 20 years. Here’s a look at his biggest hits.
Usher announces post-Super Bowl North American tour, ‘Past Present Future’
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Record rainfall, triple-digit winds, hundreds of mudslides. Here’s California’s storm by the numbers
Brandon Aiyuk is finally catching attention as vital piece of 49ers' Super Bowl run
Eras Tour in Tokyo: Tracking Taylor Swift's secret songs as she plays Japan