Current:Home > reviewsThe Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security -FutureFinance
The Secret Service acknowledges denying some past requests by Trump’s campaign for tighter security
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 03:56:36
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. (AP) — The Secret Service now acknowledges it denied some requests by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign for increased security at his events in the years before the assassination attempt on him at a recent rally.
In the immediate aftermath of the July 13 attack, the law enforcement agency had denied rejecting such requests. But the Secret Service acknowledged late Saturday, a week after the attempt on Trump’s life, that it had turned back some requests to increase security around the former president.
The reversal is likely to be a key focus of a congressional hearing Monday where Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle is expected to appear before lawmakers who have been expressing anger over security lapses that allowed a 20-year-old gunman to climb atop the roof of a nearby building at Trump’s rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, and fire his weapon.
Trump was wounded in the right ear, one rallygoer was killed and two others were injured.
“The Secret Service has a vast, dynamic, and intricate mission. Every day we work in a dynamic threat environment to ensure our protectees are safe and secure across multiple events, travel, and other challenging environments,” the agency’s chief spokesperson, Anthony Guglielmi, said in a statement released late Saturday to The Washington Post. The newspaper was first to report on the agency’s reversal, which it said was based on detailed questions submitted to the agency.
“We execute a comprehensive and layered strategy to balance personnel, technology, and specialized operational needs,” Guglielmi said.
He said the agency will rely on state and local law enforcement departments in some cases where specialized Secret Service units are unavailable.
“In some instances where specific Secret Service specialized units or resources were not provided, the agency made modifications to ensure the security of the protectee,” Gugliemi said. “This may include utilizing state or local partners to provide specialized functions or otherwise identifying alternatives to reduce public exposure of a protectee.”
After the assassination attempt, as reports began to circulate that the agency had denied the Trump campaign’s requests, Guglielmi issued a denial.
There is “an untrue assertion that a member of the former President’s team requested additional security resources & that those were rebuffed,” Gugliemi said in a social media post. “This is absolutely false. In fact, we added protective resources & technology & capabilities as part of the increased campaign travel tempo.”
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s live coverage of this year’s election.
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Stay informed. Keep your pulse on the news with breaking news email alerts. Sign up here.
Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has said what happened was a “failure” while several lawmakers have called on Cheatle to resign or be fired. Cheatle so far retains the support of Democratic President Joe Biden and Mayorkas.
Biden, who is campaigning to deny Trump a second term in the White House, has ordered an independent investigation. The Homeland Security Department and congressional committee are also investigating.
Trump says he was given no indication that law enforcement had identified a suspicious person when the former president took the stage in Pennsylvania. Some rallygoers said in interviews after the attempted assassination that they saw the gunman on the roof before Trump walked out onto the stage and had alerted law enforcement authorities on site.
In an interview with Fox News host Jesse Waters set to air Monday, Trump said, “No, nobody mentioned it, nobody said there was a problem” before he took the stage and a gunman opened fire. “They could’ve said, ‘Let’s wait for 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 5 minutes, something.’ Nobody said. I think that was a mistake.”
Trump also questioned the security lapses and how the gunman was able to access the roof of the building.
“How did somebody get on that roof? And why wasn’t he reported? Because people saw that he was on the roof,” Trump said. “So you would’ve thought someone would’ve done something about it.”
Local law enforcement officers had seen the man and deemed him suspicious enough to circulate his photo and witnesses reported seeing him scaling the building.
—-
Associated Press writer Jill Colvin in New York contributed to this report.
veryGood! (29)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Emmys 2023 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive
- Kenya embarks on its biggest rhino relocation project. A previous attempt was a disaster
- Do you need to file a state income tax return for 2023? Maybe. Here's how it works
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Another day of frigid wind chills and brutal cold across much of the U.S.
- Another day of frigid wind chills and brutal cold across much of the U.S.
- Thai officials, accused of coddling jailed ex-PM, say not calling him ‘inmate’ is standard practice
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Amy Poehler and Tina Fey's Reunion Proves They're the Cool Friends at 2023 Emmys
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- 2024 Miss America crown goes to active-duty U.S. Air Force officer
- Summer House's Sam Feher and Kory Keefer Break Up After Over a Year of Dating
- UConn hits No. 1 in AP Top 25 after upset-filled week. Gonzaga falls out for first time since 2016
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Turkey releases Israeli soccer player Sagiv Jehezkel after detention for displaying Gaza war message
- LeAnn Rimes Shares She Had Surgery to Remove Precancerous Cells
- Why RuPaul’s Drag Race Alum Princess Poppy Dressed as a Goblin for 2023 Emmys
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Six takeaways from the return of the Emmys
Denmark's King Frederik X begins reign after Queen Margrethe abdicates, ending historic 52-year tenure
Eva Mendes Proves Why Ryan Gosling Is Far From Being Just Ken
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Anthony Anderson's Mom Doris Hancox Hilariously Scolds Him During Emmys 2023 Monologue
Emmys 2023: Jenna Ortega's Wednesday Season 2 Update Will Send Shivers Down Your Spine
Why RuPaul’s Drag Race Alum Princess Poppy Dressed as a Goblin for 2023 Emmys