Current:Home > ScamsOwner of collapsed Iowa building that killed 3 people files lawsuit blaming engineering company -FutureFinance
Owner of collapsed Iowa building that killed 3 people files lawsuit blaming engineering company
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 20:49:18
DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — The owner of an Iowa apartment building that collapsed in May, killing three people, has filed a lawsuit that blames an engineering company for not warning the building was structurally unsound and that residents should be evacuated.
Real estate owner Andrew Wold filed the lawsuit last week against Select Structural Engineering, more than three months after the May 28 partial collapse of the building in Davenport, the Quad-City Times reported Sunday. Three men died when one side of the six-story building partially collapsed and crews had to amputate a woman’s leg to rescue her from the rubble.
The lawsuit argued Select Structural Engineering didn’t identify the risk of collapse, the danger of such a collapse and repairs that would have avoided a collapse.
“At no time did Select Structural opine that the defects in the west wall would require an evacuation of the building,” the lawsuit said. “To the contrary, Select Structural expressly stated that the Davenport Hotel was not in danger of collapse and that no evacuation was necessary.”
Select Structural, based in Bettendorf, Iowa, has declined to comment on the building collapse.
On Monday, the newspaper also reported that more than 2,000 emails released under a public records request included one from a city code enforcement officer to himself. The officer wanted to document a coworker’s comment — two days after the collapse — that the colleague had warned of the danger.
Officer Tom Van De Wiele wrote in the email May 30 that another code enforcement officer, Anthony Haut, showed him pictures of an exterior wall that he said showed the danger. In the email, Van De Wiele wrote, “He was frustrated and whispered to me that ‘the whole side is going to come down.’”
Van De Wiele wrote that he told Haut he should tell supervisors Rich Oswald or Beth Bringolf. But the other code enforcement officer responded “I have and Rich told me to back off and don’t worry about it.”
Van De Wiele wrote that he wanted to “document this for down the road just in case.”
None of those named in the email responded to requests for comment by the Quad-City Times, and Assistant City Attorney Brian Heyer told the newspaper that city employees aren’t authorized to respond to such media inquiries.
Since the building collapsed, residents have filed several lawsuits arguing that the building owner, engineering company and city officials were negligent. Documents released by the city made clear that all were aware that the 116-year-old building had structural problems but the engineering company said there wasn’t an “imminent threat” to the building or residents.
The remains of the building were cleared in the weeks after the collapse and the downtown site is now bare ground.
veryGood! (72)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Volunteers flock to Israel to harvest fruit and vegetables as foreign farm workers flee during Israel-Hamas war
- Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone and More Stars React to 2024 Golden Globe Awards Nominations
- A day of 2 prime ministers in Poland begins the delayed transition to a centrist, pro-EU government
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Inside Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet’s “Cozy” Date Night at Wonka Premiere
- Micah Parsons listed on Cowboys' injury report with illness ahead of Eagles game
- Petrochemical giant’s salt mine ruptures in northeastern Brazil. Officials warn of collapse
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Israeli families mark Hanukkah as they mourn and hope for safe return of hostages
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- 2 people have been killed in a shooting in the southern Swiss town of Sion
- Asia lags behind pre-pandemic levels of food security, UN food agency says
- Congo’s president makes campaign stop near conflict zone and blasts Rwanda for backing rebels
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Japan's 2024 Nissan Sakura EV delivers a fun first drive experience
- Japanese anime film 'The Boy and the Heron' debuts at No. 1, dethrones 'Renaissance'
- Derek Chauvin's stabbing highlights security issues in federal prisons, experts say
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Derek Hough says wife Hayley Erbert is recovering following 'unfathomable' craniectomy
Teachers have been outed for moonlighting in adult content. Do they have legal recourse?
Extraordinarily rare white leucistic gator with twinkling blue eyes born in Florida
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Why 'Friends' is the 'heartbeat' of Julia Roberts sci-fi movie 'Leave the World Behind'
Los Angeles Chargers QB Justin Herbert suffers right index fracture vs. Denver Broncos
Full transcript of Face the Nation, Dec. 10, 2023