Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Kansas judge seals court documents in car chase that ended in officer’s shooting death -FutureFinance
NovaQuant-Kansas judge seals court documents in car chase that ended in officer’s shooting death
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:42:17
MISSION,NovaQuant Kan. (AP) — A Kansas judge is sealing some court documents in a case against a Tennessee woman who is charged with murder after a car chase ended in a gas station shootout that left a police officer and another suspect dead.
Johnson County Judge Michael P. Joyce ruled Wednesday that the probable cause affidavits explaining the allegations against Andrea Rene Cothran, 32, of Goodlettsville, would not be released. The Associated Press had filed a formal request seeking them.
In addition to first-degree murder, Cothran also is charged with reckless driving, felony theft, fleeing law enforcement and aggravated battery in connection with the Aug. 6 car chase that ended in a shootout at a QuikTrip store in Mission, Kansas.
The gunfire left Officer Jonah Oswald of the Fairway Police Department and car chase suspect Shannon Wayne Marshall dead. Police said previously that Cothran was a passenger in the fleeing vehicle.
While the state allows probable cause statements to be released, it includes exceptions when they can be withheld. Joyce wrote in his ruling that prosecutors made a good case that the documents did not need to be released because doing so could jeopardize the case and interfere with the investigation or prosecution.
Cothran’s attorney, Joel Rook, did not immediately return a phone message from The Associated Press seeking comment.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- U.S. Navy pilot becomes first American woman to engage and kill an air-to-air contact
- Harris says in first remarks since Biden dropped out of race she's deeply grateful to him for his service to the nation
- Billion-dollar Mitsubishi chemical plant economically questionable, energy group says
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Police bodyguard accused of fraud and false statements about alleged affair with mayor
- Love Island USA's Kendall Washington Addresses Leaked NSFW Video
- Kandi Burruss’ Must-Haves for Busy People Include These Hand Soap Sheets You Won’t Leave Home Without
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Israel's Netanyahu in Washington for high-stakes visit as death toll in Gaza war nears 40,000
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- FBI says man, woman may be linked to six human-caused wildfires in southern New Mexico
- Bangladesh's top court scales back government jobs quota after deadly unrest
- Rushed railcar inspections and ‘stagnated’ safety record reinforce concerns after fiery Ohio crash
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Harris steps into the limelight. And the coconut trees and memes have followed
- US Olympic Committee sues Logan Paul's Prime energy drink over copyright violation claims
- Blake Lively and Gigi Hadid Are Simply the Perfect Match With Deadpool & Wolverine After-Party Looks
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Holding out for a hero? Here are the 50 best, from Deadpool to Han Solo
Kamala Harris' campaign says it raised more than $100 million after launch
Oscar Mayer Wienermobile in rollover wreck in Illinois, no injuries reported
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Officials release video of officer fatally shooting Sonya Massey in her home after she called 911
Google reneges on plan to remove third-party cookies in Chrome
Cyber security startup Wiz reportedly rejects $23 billion acquisition proposal from Google