Current:Home > ScamsDozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says -FutureFinance
Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 20:20:40
Survivors rescued from a deflating rubber dinghy in the central Mediterranean Sea have reported that some 60 people who departed Libya with them a week ago perished during the journey, the humanitarian rescue group SOS Mediterranee said Thursday.
The European charity's ship Ocean Viking spotted the dinghy with 25 people on board Wednesday. Two were unconscious, and were evacuated by the Italian military for treatment. The other 23 were in serious condition, exhausted, dehydrated and with burns from fuel on board the boat.
"After yesterday's rescue of 25 people in very weak health condition, a medical evacuation took place in cooperation with the Italian Coast Guards," said SOS Mediterranee in an update shared Thursday on social media. The two unconscious people could not be roused by members of the rescue team and were flown by helicopter to Sicily, the group said.
SOS Mediterranee spokesperson Francesco Creazzo said that the survivors were all male, 12 of them minors with two of those not yet teenagers. They were from Senegal, Mali and The Gambia.
Creazzo said the survivors were traumatized and unable to give full accounts of what had transpired during the voyage. Humanitarian organizations often rely on accounts of survivors when pulling together the numbers of dead and missing at sea, presumed to have died.
The survivors' boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before the rescue, SOS Mediterranee said.
"Their engine broke after 3 days, leaving their boat lost adrift without water and food for days," the group shared in another social media post. Citing survivors, that update noted that "at least 60 people perished on the way, including women and at least one child."
The U.N. International Organization for Migration says 227 people have died along the perilous central Mediterranean route this year through March 11, not counting the new reported missing and presumed dead. That's out of a total 279 deaths in the Mediterranean since Jan. 1. A total of 19,562 people arrived in Italy using that route in the period.
Last year, about 100 migrants were rescued after a dangerously overcrowded fishing boat sunk in the Mediterranean near the coast of Greece. At least 82 people were killed and hundreds more were never found, according to officials. The tragedy shined a light on the notorious, risky journey across the Mediterranean that thousands of migrants undertake every month in hopes of reaching Europe. Tunisia and Libya are two main departure points.
- In:
- Libya
- Migrants
- Mediterranean Sea
veryGood! (99357)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Group caught on camera pulling bear cubs from tree to take pictures with them
- Would you like a cicada salad? The monstrous little noisemakers descend on a New Orleans menu
- Seeking ‘the right side of history,’ Speaker Mike Johnson risks his job to deliver aid to Ukraine
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- California court to weigh in on fight over transgender ballot measure proposal language
- 'Like a large drone': NASA to launch Dragonfly rotorcraft lander on Saturn's moon Titan
- BNSF Railway says it didn’t know about asbestos that’s killed hundreds in Montana town
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- NHL playoffs bracket 2024: What are the first round series in Stanley Cup playoffs?
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- American Idol Alum Mandisa Dead at 47
- NHL Stanley Cup playoffs schedule 2024: Dates, times, TV for first round of bracket
- Prosecutor won’t bring charges against Wisconsin lawmaker over fundraising scheme
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Biden administration restricts oil and gas leasing in 13 million acres of Alaska’s petroleum reserve
- US sanctions fundraisers for extremist West Bank settlers who commit violence against Palestinians
- Coco Gauff vs Caitlin Clark? Tennis star says she would love to go head-to-head vs. Clark
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Police called in to North Dakota state forensic examiner’s office before her firing
18-year-old turns himself into police for hate-motivated graffiti charges
Best lines from each of Taylor Swift's 'Tortured Poets Department' songs, Pt. 1 & 2
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
San Jose Sharks have best NHL draft lottery odds after historically bad season
Stocks waver and oil prices rise after Israeli missile strike on Iran
Florida baffles experts by banning local water break rules as deadly heat is on the rise