Current:Home > ScamsPrince Harry Loses Legal Challenge Over U.K. Security Protection -FutureFinance
Prince Harry Loses Legal Challenge Over U.K. Security Protection
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 04:22:02
Prince Harry is facing a legal setback.
The Duke of Sussex lost his challenge against the British government regarding his level of protective security when in Great Britain, the High Court announced Feb. 28.
Harry—who lives in the United States with wife Meghan Markle and kids Prince Archie, 4, and Princess Lilibet, 2—took legal action against the Home Office over the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty (RAVEC)'s 2020 decision to no longer provide him with the same amount of publicly funded personal police protection when he's in the U.K. after he and Meghan stepped back as working members of the royal family.
And while the 39-year-old's legal team had recalled RAVEC's move "unlawful," the High Court determined the decision was not unlawful, irrational or marred by procedural unfairness.
In addition, judge Sir Peter Lane noted in part of a 51-page document that RAVEC's "bespoke process" for determining Harry's security on a case-by-case basis "was, and is, legally sound."
"The claimant considers he should receive protective security from the State, whenever he is in Great Britain because of his position within the Royal Family and factors concerning his past and present situations," he wrote at another point in the document. "RAVEC did not share this view."
The judge also stated that Harry's legal team had taken "an inappropriate, formalist interpretation of the RAVEC process."
After the decision was made, the Home Office shared its reaction.
"We are pleased that the court has found in favor of the government's position in this case," it said in part of a statement obtained by Reuters, "and we are carefully considering our next steps."
Meanwhile, Harry's legal team—who expressed how the duke doesn't feel safe in the U.K. with the current security arrangements and previously lost their bid for him to cover these protection costs himself—noted their intent to appeal the judgment.
"Although these are not labels used by RAVEC, three categories - as revealed during the litigation - comprise the 'RAVEC cohort': the Role Based Category, the Occasional Category and the Other VIP Category," a legal spokesperson for the duke said in a statement obtained by NBC News. "The Duke is not asking for preferential treatment, but for a fair and lawful application of RAVEC's own rules, ensuring that he receives the same consideration as others in accordance with RAVEC's own written policy."
The spokesperson added, "In February 2020, RAVEC failed to apply its written policy to The Duke of Sussex and excluded him from a particular risk analysis. The Duke's case is that the so-called 'bespoke process' that applies to him, is no substitute for that risk analysis. The Duke of Sussex hopes he will obtain justice from the Court of Appeal, and makes no further comment while the case is ongoing."
To review more royal news from earlier this year, including King Charles III and Kate Middleton's health battles, keep reading.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, died Feb. 25. Although the cause of death was not disclosed, no suspicious circumstances or other parties were involved, according to the family.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (3)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Frustrated Taylor Swift fans battle ticket bots and Ticketmaster
- Words on mysterious scroll buried by Mount Vesuvius eruption deciphered for first time after 2,000 years
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake shakes Hawaii's Big Island
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- 2 killed in Illinois after a car being chased by police struck another vehicle
- Why Jesse Palmer Calls Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift’s Romance a Total Win
- As coach Chip Kelly bolts UCLA for coordinator job, Bruins face messy Big Ten future
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Larry Hogan running for U.S. Senate seat in Maryland
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Stage adaptation of Prince's Purple Rain to debut in Minneapolis next year
- Caitlin Clark, please don't break scoring record on Super Bowl Sunday. For once, just be average.
- Paris 2024 Olympics medals unveiled, each with a little piece of the Eiffel Tower right in the middle
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- 30-foot decaying gray whale found washed ashore in Huntington Beach, California after storm
- Is Kyle Richards Finally Leaving RHOBH Amid Her Marriage Troubles? She Says...
- Republican lawmakers are backing dozens of bills targeting diversity efforts on campus and elsewhere
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Jury in Young Dolph murder trial will come from outside of Memphis, Tennessee, judge rules
City drops charges against pastor as sides negotiate over Ohio church’s 24/7 ministry
Caitlin Clark, please don't break scoring record on Super Bowl Sunday. For once, just be average.
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Carl's Jr. is giving away free Western Bacon Cheeseburgers the day after the Super Bowl
Ex-TV news reporter is running as a Republican for Bob Menendez’s Senate seat in New Jersey
Veteran NFL assistant Wink Martindale to become Michigan Wolverines defensive coordinator