Current:Home > NewsJonathan Majors' ex-girlfriend arrested amid domestic violence case against the actor -FutureFinance
Jonathan Majors' ex-girlfriend arrested amid domestic violence case against the actor
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 02:43:41
An ex-girlfriend who accused actor Jonathan Majors of assaulting her in March was arrested in New York City Wednesday night, her attorney Ross Kramer confirmed to USA TODAY Thursday.
Grace Jabbari, who is British, was arrested on two misdemeanor charges, according to Kramer.
"We are disappointed that Ms. Jabbari had to face an arrest that the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office already determined was unwarranted," Kramer said in a statement. "The DA’s Office carefully reviewed all the facts of the case and concluded that Ms. Jabbari was the victim, and not the perpetrator. Before we walked into the police precinct, the DA’s Office made clear that they would not be charging Ms. Jabbari with any offense."
Her attorney added: "It is unfortunate and re-traumatizing when a survivor of intimate partner violence is forced to endure an arrest, but Ms. Jabbari is an extremely strong and resilient person who is determined to move forward."
The dancer and movement coach was charged with suspicion of misdemeanor assault and misdemeanor criminal mischief, according to The New York Times and The Hollywood Reporter.
She was released soon after on a desk appearance ticket, which is a notice to appear in court at a later date.
"The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has officially declined to prosecute the case against Grace Jabbari because it lacks prosecutorial merit. The matter is now closed and sealed," the district attorney's office said in a statement to USA TODAY Thursday.
Jabbari's arrest comes more than three months after Majors filed a cross-complaint against her in June, leading the NYPD to open an investigation, and seven months after he was taken into custody following Jabbari's 911 call after an alleged domestic dispute.
The Manhattan district attorney's office has said it "would decline to prosecute Ms. Jabbari if she were arrested," according to an Oct. 13 document from the district attorney's office responding to Majors' motion to dismiss charges, which was obtained by USA TODAY Wednesday.
DA's office details alleged domestic dispute between Jonathan Majors, Grace Jabbari
According to a document from the district attorney office, obtained by USA TODAY Wednesday, Jabbari allegedly grabbed Majors' phone while they were in a car headed to their Manhattan home after seeing a message "that stated in substance: 'Wish I was kissing you right now.'"
From their alleged fight, Jabbari allegedly suffered injuries including a fractured finger, bruising, a laceration behind her ear and a bump on her head.
On March 25, a judge granted a limited order of protection, preventing Majors and the woman from assaulting or harassing each other and released Majors on his own recognizance.
Majors is currently facing five misdemeanor charges, including three for assault and two for harassment, against Jabbari. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges. Earlier on Wednesday, the Manhattan district attorney’s office declined Majors' motion to dismiss these charges against the "Creed III" and Marvel Cinematic Universe star.
His trial is set to begin Nov. 29.
Majors has denied the allegations against him. In August, his attorney, Priya Chaudhry, told USA TODAY in a statement that he is "the real victim in this shameful ordeal."
Latest on Jonathan Majors' case:Judge denies motion to dismiss charges
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY
veryGood! (79469)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Watch Live: Explosive Iceland volcano eruption shoots lava across roads and sends pollution toward the capital
- Olympic gold medal wrestler Gable Steveson signing with Buffalo Bills
- 100 years ago, US citizenship for Native Americans came without voting rights in swing states
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- The Top 12 Must-Have Lululemon Gifts for Father's Day 2024
- Don’t throw out that old iPhone! Here’s where you can exchange used tech for dollars
- California firefighters battle wind-driven wildfire east of San Francisco
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- After a quarter century, Thailand’s LGBTQ Pride Parade is seen as a popular and political success
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- At least 50 deaths blamed on India heat wave in just a week as record temperatures scorch the country
- What was Trump convicted of? Details on the 34 counts and his guilty verdict
- Parade for Israel in NYC focuses on solidarity this year as Gaza war casts a grim shadow
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Kyle Richards Shares Affordable Outdoor Entertaining Essentials
- LGBTQ communities, allies around US taking steps to promote safety at Pride 2024 events
- Google admits its AI Overviews can generate some odd, inaccurate results
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
'Knives Out' 3 new cast reveals include Jeremy Renner, Kerry Washington: What to know
Caitlin Clark is one of the WNBA's best rebounding guards. Here's how it helps her score
Charlotte the stingray has 'rare reproductive disease,' aquarium says after months of speculation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Retired 4-star Navy admiral allegedly awarded government contract in exchange for job
Marco Troper, son of former YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, died from an accidental overdose
At bribery trial, ex-US official casts Sen. Bob Menendez as a villain in Egyptian meat controversy